Is my rooster too Rough?

You mentioned he's taking away her confidence but is he harming her in any way? Is he pulling out feathers or scratching her up with his nails? If it's all relatively a smooth mating process, I wouldn't necessarily think it's too much unless she is paranoid of him.
He is pulling out her feathers on her head, and i can see her skin.we do try to cut her from time to time just so she can see, right now she is missing quite a bit of feathers on her head and can’t see much, he is only pulling from the top of her head and not the sides. but I’m going to trim her top in the weekend. I hope after her trim she will go right back to her more confident self and not hide as much in the coop😊

Your rooster is not rough at all unless he is actually injuring her. As soon as they can see daylight in the mornings a rooster will often immediately start trying to dance and mount hens. It's also not uncommon for a rooster to have a favorite hen either. However, many if not most roosters do need more than 5 hens to keep them happy. There are exceptions who are perfectly content with a smaller harem, but the majority of roosters will need more than 5 to prevent over breeding.
In spring this year I’m probably going to get 2 more hens if our contry would allow us to do so. Right now the bird flu is really starting to spread so we are advised to not buy or sell any birds at the moment but I’m hoping that it gets under control so I can expand my flock just a little bit😊

Make sure to check the skin under her wings for scrapes and lacerations. That's the area that is most often injured when a larger male mounts a much smaller female, because he tends to slide down her sides.
Even if she is not being physically injured, hiding in the coop indicates that she is overwhelmed by the situation. It would probably be best if you could house him in an adjacent but separate area to give her and the others a break for awhile.

While I have placed bantam roosters with larger hens on occasion, I avoid placing larger roosters with bantam hens. They can easily get injured.
I’m also scared he is going to hurt her, so far nothing has happend. I didn’t mean to get a bantam hen, the guy I bought it from said she was a chick and will grow larger, she didn’t and I don’t think they were treated that well before I got her, and that is why she is so shy unfortunately, but lesson learned I will probably not put bantam hens with larger rooster again.

Make sure to check the skin under her wings for scrapes and lacerations. That's the area that is most often injured when a larger male mounts a much smaller female, because he tends to slide down her sides.
Even if she is not being physically injured, hiding in the coop indicates that she is overwhelmed by the situation. It would probably be best if you could house him in an adjacent but separate area to give her and the others a break for awhile.
I will check her tomorrow when I trim her feathers😊

Hatch your own flock eggs, there fertile.
I will do that, but 3 of my hens are some mean ones so I’m kinda scared that they are going to treat chicks even worse that they did to my new hens, they are also only a year old so do you think it could work with chicks?😊 also quick question can you mix a big rooster with a small hen?

I will do that, but 3 of my hens are some mean ones so I’m kinda scared that they are going to treat chicks even worse that they did to my new hens, they are also only a year old so do you think it could work with chicks?😊 also quick question can you mix a big rooster with a small hen?
I wouldn't keep a big rooster with a small hen, his weight will injure her. If you hatch chicks from a mean hen it doesn't mean the chicks grown up to be like her. You should probably incubate the eggs yourself instead of letting any hens sit on them.

Little Update: he didn’t try and mate her this morning, I tried to keep a spoon between them while I gave him some snacks. I also trimmed her hair today and checked her for injuries and she is fine😊😊

Back
Top Bottom