Is she going to lay an egg today?

SnootyHen

Crowing
Apr 18, 2020
Illinois
My White Leghorn (almost 17 weeks) has been doing the squatting thing for a while, took an interest in oyster shells and today I heard her singing the egg song loud and clear for the whole neighborhood to hear. I was in the house with windows closed and heard it so I ran out to see. Peeking through the windows and chicken door, I saw she was in the nesting box (also the first time any of them have gone in there). After she stopped singing for a while I thought she'd come out for treats with the rest but she didn't so I went in slowly and she was still in the box rearranging the bedding. I praised her and closed the door so she could have privacy and she ended up coming out to the run little later. I ran to see her first egg and there wasn't one. I did check around everywhere in case it was small and buried but nothing was there but the fake eggs.

Is she going to do this a few times before actually laying?

She did it!!!! 🐔🥚🥳

IMG_20200714_110748.jpg
IMG_20200714_110806.jpg

Here's the brave girl yesterday when she was just practicing. She laid it pretty early this morning so I didn't get any pictures but when I came out to give them their morning treats and scoop the coop, she brought me over to show me. Such a sweet girl!!

IMG_20200713_093613.jpg

Back
Top Bottom