Is the Occular Maerks?

Gutgirl

Chirping
May 11, 2021
I have a show girl rooster who is 6 months old that my hen hatched. He is not vaccinated but my flock is vaccinated except the ones I bought from tractor supply. I was checking all my chickens to see if their liice was home or I needed to treat again. I have treated 2 time last 2 with elector psp. But, in the process I noticed his eyes were very differnt from the rest on my flock. I’m wondering if it’s occular mareks?

Attachments

• 8E58AD1D-6BA3-4D04-BF97-D8E61CE2E756.jpeg
    8E58AD1D-6BA3-4D04-BF97-D8E61CE2E756.jpeg
    483 KB · Views: 39
  • 9A32444D-1B45-4D17-A73A-B885F4111F9C.jpeg
    9A32444D-1B45-4D17-A73A-B885F4111F9C.jpeg
    598.2 KB · Views: 10
There are some birds who have pigmented irises like that. In ocular Mareks, the normally round pupil becomes smaller and irregular in shape, while the colored iris dims to gray. The other eye usually does the same. Can he seem to see well? Is he able to peck small pieces of feed in front of him? Here in this picture off the internet shows a normal eye and one with ocular Mareks:
1703714897194.jpeg

There are some birds who have pigmented irises like that. In ocular Mareks, the normally round pupil becomes smaller and irregular in shape, while the colored iris dims to gray. The other eye usually does the same. Can he seem to see well? Is he able to peck small pieces of feed in front of him? Here in this picture off the internet shows a normal eye and one with ocular Mareks:
View attachment 3713404
He see perfect! He didn’t like me taking his pic and tried to bite me lol! He sees me coming up to him or his ladies he lets me know by his foot dance and has no problem flogging if I am to close. He can see his food and water just fine. He is a heavy little stinker!

Coloboma is rather common in birds, animals, and people. I don’t think the eyes in this chicken is coloboma, but I have not seen anything like it before. So glad that he sees well. Maybe try to post pictures of the eyes in good light without any reflexion. If it is coloboma, then it may be easier to see.

Back
Top Bottom