Is there a story behind the breed of ducks you have?

416bigbore

Ruffus and Big Boy
Jun 11, 2020
NC
As A Newbie here to the BYC Duck section of the Forum. I am curious if there is any reasoning behind why people pick the breed of Ducks they have? With the understanding that there are members who have adopted abandoned and or rescue Ducks, which I think is very AWESOME! :)

Being a Newbie to raising Ducks but not Chickens, my choice of Duck wasn't that difficult having been raised in ND, the Mallard. We lived in the fly zone for all the different type of migratory waterfowl that would go North in the spring and South in the fall.

Living in a small rural farming community we had a small water hole/ pond behind our house that the ducks would stop and hang out at from time to time. There were all different types of ducks that would stop there, the Mallard was the duck I was most impressed with. IMO, not only a very beautiful duck, but a very loud Duck with a distinctive QUACK! QUACK ! QUACK ! QUACK ! QUACK! LOL I just loved to hear that sound and would watch them for hours as they took a rest and would be on their way. The Canadian Goose is another one of my favorite waterfowl with their LOUD, HONK ! HONK! HONK! as they flew over.

This is my brief story explaining my love behind the Mallard breed of Fowl, I would love to hear your stories. . :)

History of the Indian Runner Duck

Indian Runners came from the East Indies and, as one would expect, they run rather than waddle. The name is fairly explicit, but it does not do justice to one of the most extraordinary of domestic ducks. They are unique in the extreme body shape and posture, looking to the inexperienced eye more like hock bottles than normal ducks. Yet it was their utility value as egg layers that brought them and their fame to the UK country, where they were exhibited in Dumfries in 1876 and Kendal in 1896.

Records of stone carvings in Java seem to suggest an origin of a thousand years or more. The Europeans noted them in the mid 19th century, in Malaya (1851) and Lombok, Indonesia, where Alfred Wallace observed in 1856 that they 'walk erect, like penguins'1. However, circumstantial evidence would suggest that oriental ducks reached Western Europe much earlier than the nineteenth century. Kenneth Broekman has alerted us to Dutch records of a sailing ship carrying a cargo of hundreds of salted 'pingouins' - possibly ducks. There were also duck eggs in this cargo transported back to the Cape of Good Hope.

In addition, ducks resembling Indian Runners in colour pattern and shape can be seen in paintings by the Dutch masters of the 1600s. Articles in the IRDA newsletters illustrate the evidence from Holland.

Also a number of Lowland breeds, such as the Huttegem, carry colour genes very similar to the Indian Runners. Examples of these colour mutations can be seen in seventeenth century Dutch paintings like those of the d'Hondecoeter family.

Indian Runner Duck Club of the UK

As A Newbie here to the BYC Duck section of the Forum. I am curious if there is any reasoning behind why people pick the breed of Ducks they have? With the understanding that there are members who have adopted abandoned and or rescue Ducks, which I think is very AWESOME! :)

Being a Newbie to raising Ducks but not Chickens, my choice of Duck wasn't that difficult having been raised in ND, the Mallard. We lived in the fly zone for all the different type of migratory waterfowl that would go North in the spring and South in the fall.

Living in a small rural farming community we had a small water hole/ pond behind our house that the ducks would stop and hang out at from time to time. There were all different types of ducks that would stop there, the Mallard was the duck I was most impressed with. IMO, not only a very beautiful duck, but a very loud Duck with a distinctive QUACK! QUACK ! QUACK ! QUACK ! QUACK! LOL I just loved to hear that sound and would watch them for hours as they took a rest and would be on their way. The Canadian Goose is another one of my favorite waterfowl with their LOUD, HONK ! HONK! HONK! as they flew over.

This is my brief story explaining my love behind the Mallard breed of Fowl, I would love to hear your stories. . :)
Mine came with my farm. I have Cayuga, Rouen and Cayuga/Rouen mixes. I would like some Welsh Harlequins at some point

A year ago I raised a couple ducklings and released them on a lake that a friend of the family owns. An American black duck and an Indian runner.

Loved raising them so when we moved out to the country and could have them we went to tractor supply during their chick days

Found two little ducklings. One feisty and hyper and one totally laid back. They matched really well and happened to both be pekins

Then I wanted to get a couple more to have a larger flock and got 2 Rouen females to add as they will be a bit in the bigger side and Peep can be a bit of a bully so wanted them to defend themselves if she started something heh

A year ago I raised a couple ducklings and released them on a lake that a friend of the family owns. An American black duck and an Indian runner.

Loved raising them so when we moved out to the country and could have them we went to tractor supply during their chick days

Found two little ducklings. One feisty and hyper and one totally laid back. They matched really well and happened to both be pekins

Then I wanted to get a couple more to have a larger flock and got 2 Rouen females to add as they will be a bit in the bigger side and Peep can be a bit of a bully so wanted them to defend themselves if she started something heh
please don’t release ducks

Back
Top Bottom