Is there an AC you can put in the chicken coop? I could really use advice!!!

I live in Arizona and temps get 110-115 degrees in the summer. We have a large turbo fan blowing from inside the coop run area to the outside. Also we have a mist system with limited nozzle sprayers so that it cools but the ground doesnt get muddy or overly wet, just damp. Also use frozen gallon jugs of water (large jugs help the frozen water not melt for a number of hours) and lay a few out for them to rest near. I place in assorted areas inside the main coup and outside in the run. They seem to like it and we've been happy with the results. Of course it is very dry here so a little mist feels good to them.

I strongly prefer well-designed passive ventilation (see my article), but if you use a fan be sure to get one designed for barn use because unless you exercise extreme care (see this setup), a ordinary fan intended for household use becomes a fire hazard as the dust from the feathers and bedding builds up in the motor.
Even fans designed for barnuse can and do cause fires. In good race/show horse barns fans are pulled down once a month,thoroughly blown out and cleaned,weekly they are brushed off. Weekly because its amazing just how much crap they accumulate, destroys the fans and possibly everything else

Does anyone have thoughts???
Frigidaire has a small AC unit and GE also has a small one that I used in my last coop. Depending on your window you can use blocks of wood to keep it from damaging the window frame. I'd say go for it. Temps are hotter than they used to be. Just like the killer freeze we had that killed chickens when everybody said "Oh chickens will make it" but it was a 30 degree drop in temps. Not normal.

Ok thanks so much I'll have to read them not sure how hit it was last year maybe in the high 80 and somewhere in the 90??? Not sure but it was very stressful making sure they didn't over heat and on top of that they would drink a ton and because they're so fluffy get poopy butts so yes I had to give baths....... a lot
We installed a 6000 btu window unit and created a pre-filter to go over the intake of the ac. We only kick it on when the temperature is over 85 in the coop with the high powered van going. We have some cold weather breeds that really get hot fast and the ac pulls the moisture out of the air as well. We set the temperature to around 76 and on auto so it only kicks on as it needs to. We are at a strange situation where we have chicks that need heat lamps and then we are getting over 90 and 100 degree temperatures so we opted for the ac unit to keep them from overheating.

Sure you can, why not. Just make sure its sealed as best as can be. As long as the frontal air is separated from the rear air. Is what I'm saying is that you can't just set a window unit in it, it won't do anything. You can get a portable room cooler or what we call a swamp cooler.

Also you can make a diy swamp cooler with an ice chest a fan and a pvc elbow. Cut a round hole in the top of the ice chest. Attach fan to top of lid blowing in. Cut hole on opposite side of top and attach 4" pvc 90* elbow to direct air out and fill ice chest with ice. They work great learned of it prepping for hurricanes
I tried that and I don't notice ANY cool air coming out of the pvc elbow. Don't know what I am doing wrong. :/

So yes my chickens are big and fluffy and hate the heat I would love to put a AC in the coop is there one designed for this do you have one and what do you think the cost would be? I don’t want it to be cold that would shock them but a nice temp I have a fan and was planning to get more but they really only blow hot air around I could get more fans for the run and then if there is one an AC for the coop what are your thoughts?

I cut a hole in a wall and installed a small window unit. Coops don't seal up well. It will never be cold in there.

We use a barn fan with an enclosed motor for exhaust to get that hot air out and then we use greenhouse circulation fans on the inside to cool down the chickens while roosting or hanging out during rain… I keep my Omlet outdoor run partially covered with plastic sheeting for a dry place for them to stay during rainy days, otherwise they spend their days outside under shade with box fans set up. We also use shallow pans of regularly cooled/down water for them to play in…

Luckily I’m home to keep that cool for them throughout the day…
It’s definitely tough, keeping them cool and comfortable!! 🤦🏻‍♀️

I live in Arizona and temps get 110-115 degrees in the summer. We have a large turbo fan blowing from inside the coop run area to the outside. Also we have a mist system with limited nozzle sprayers so that it cools but the ground doesnt get muddy or overly wet, just damp. Also use frozen gallon jugs of water (large jugs help the frozen water not melt for a number of hours) and lay a few out for them to rest near. I place in assorted areas inside the main coup and outside in the run. They seem to like it and we've been happy with the results. Of course it is very dry here so a little mist feels good to them.
I agree!
The frozen bottles are a hit!
And, they easily last all day… I plop one in their water pan and then scatter them out in their favorite napping spots.
I’ve got all sizes out there, from 1/2 Gallon milk jugs to 16oz Dr Pepper or Mt. Dew bottles that my bantams like to use.

— Looks a bit hilarious, actually … Chickens all snuggled up against a Mt.Dew

Back
Top Bottom