is there any big difference between barred rocks and cuckoo marans?

Hatchery barred Plymouth Rocks will generally be smaller than the breed standard, and lay a lot of eggs. Hatchery clean legged cuckoo Marans will also be smaller than the feather legged French Marans, and while their eggs will be a shade or two darker than the Rock's eggs, they won't be that nice dark brown/ chocolate that most French Marans, especially the black coppers, produce. For egg color variety, get French Marans. For high egg production, maybe the barred Rocks. Temperament will be individual, in my experience, not so much per breed.
Get some, try them out, and see what you like!
Mary

Hmm, you all have given me great info to consider, thank you.:]
My chickens occupy the "pets with benefits but still kinda livestock" area, so I want friendly ones.
I want some belifelders, Isabella leg horns, lavender orps etc. If I had room, I'd love to try them all out. There's only so much you can do an 1/4 acre lot with neighbors on all sides.....

Many of my friendliest hens have been Speckled Sussex, who are also beautiful, and lay tan eggs. Do you have any Easter Eggers? Try the French Marans for dark eggs! It is fun to have a colorful egg basket!
There are so many choices! None of us has enough room to have them all at once, so order some that look interesting, and plan for more next year, or the year after.
Breeds that 'everyone loves' and that look great on paper, may not charm you, and some that just come in by accident, you will love. Just sayin'.
Mary

Many of my friendliest hens have been Speckled Sussex, who are also beautiful, and lay tan eggs. Do you have any Easter Eggers? Try the French Marans for dark eggs! It is fun to have a colorful egg basket!
There are so many choices! None of us has enough room to have them all at once, so order some that look interesting, and plan for more next year, or the year after.
Breeds that 'everyone loves' and that look great on paper, may not charm you, and some that just come in by accident, you will love. Just sayin'.
Mary

Yes, I know a lot of chickens look better on paper, but I understand your point, not all chickens are one way or another across the breed.
I'm ordering Columbian Wyandottes, silver penciled rocks and bards, I wanted to add something more unusual to my flock and I've always wanted some fun colored eggs.
I'm not in love with the way most easter/ olive Eggers look. I don't know why.
I have one barred rock and one production red, the last ladies, they're about 6-7 years old, a red Comet or whatever the particular hatchery name is for 'red mutt', lol.
I was really considering speckled sussex, they're very festive, maybe I'll add a few.
And maybe some assorted laced wyandottes.... ;]

Our 6 month Cuckoo Marans is rounder than any other bird we have except our bantam Cochins. Here she is with our year old EE roo, and a back view. In that picture she is with three year old EE hens for size comparison. She is the biggest girl we have. We had two boys too. They were huge and loud, and made very tasty chicken and dumplings.
20200120_135852.jpg
20200120_135647.jpg

I have 2 cuckoo marans, and they do look very much like the barred rocks I used to have. Their eggs are medium size and a rich brown with a very hard shell. They are docile, but I've got 3 Delawares who rule the flock. I won't get more of those, but am considering a black maran for darker eggs. Anybody have comments on that?

Attachments

• 20200216_134041.jpg
    20200216_134041.jpg
    951.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200216_134037.jpg
    20200216_134037.jpg
    909.5 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom