Is This a Good Rooster Or?..

Before you cull you may try holding him down on the ground with your hand when he attacks you. This shows dominance. This method will not make them sweet. It will make them scared. They will stay away from you. If you want a social rooster cull and try again. If you like him but dont want him to attack then hold him down with your hand with his head between you pointer and middle finger. Even this may not work. It is worth a shot if you like him though.

One method i figured out that worked for me is to hold him for a good time, and dont let him go, put him under your arm and carry him around wherever you go, if he keeps being agressive force him to sit without hurting him and force his head to the ground ( i usually grab him beind the comb and force him to stay still, then if he stop from trying to get away, let him go, and he will keep the position you made him sit for some minutes, repeat the process everytime he gets cocky

None of my different breeds of rooster have been aggressive to me. Goof fortune, certainly.
Regardless, I only kept my blue orp that hatched last May. He went in with the flock when my lead roo died a couple months back. He is kind, tidbits, and doesn't force-mate the hens and pullets. But I did start handling all my chicks since they hatched, and when I wanted to pick one up, I pursued it till I caught it, and held it until it settled and was still for several moments. I believe this helped to let them know there was no getting away from them, and my will would be done.

Raise some straight run chicks this spring, not his, and see if you can have a nice boy out of your new group. RIRs have a well deserved reputation for having a good % of human aggressive roosters. Any breed can have both nice and not so nice cockerels, but odds are better with some than with others.
Nothing will fix his behavior with children!!!
Many Salmon Favorelle roosters are very nice, for example. Our white Chanteclers from Cackle have all been good too.
Mary

I haven't tried to rehabilitate nore had a roo that show's aggression to people. I believe they are tought to be aggressive by new owners without realizing it. Think of behavior when there's more than 1 roo. The head roo is the one who gets to mate. The lower roo's got to be sneaky about it or the head roo puts a stop to it. Your the head roo so don't allow him to mate in your presence. If you do he will see you as a weak leader. His next test is to show you aggression maybe charging. He wants to see what he can get away with and confirm your the lesser roo. Lastly if that went well for him he may try flogging. Basically at that point to him you have been tested and deemed an unworthy flock leader and he wants the job. Another thing with roosters is walk through him not around, make him move you're the boss.

I have 8 full grown roosters now and non of them have ever shown aggression to me or anybody else.

Back
Top Bottom