Is this Ascites or Egg Bound do you think

If you are wanting to treat Salpingitis, I would use Amoxicillin. You can find Fish Mox online. Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 10-14 days.
It may help with the infection, if caught early, but often a hen will relapse later down the road.

Thank you so much for your informed responses.. they are so appreciated. I've been letting her free range with the flock in the afternoon.. and keeping her nearby so I can keep up meds and observing.. The Ascities seems to be slowly diminishing and I'm sort of distracted with multiple other occurrences ( life) while trying to decide if I'm going to put her down or not.. but she seems comfortable and content and is eating so I have time to deliberate. I'm fairly certain the lash egg must have been hers.. I've been doing Clavamox and I think it's helping. Again, Thank you so much.

Draining is a supportive care measure and I would only drain a hen that is showing signs of distress from the fluid - difficulty breathing/walking, lethargy, etc.
If the fluid is lessening on its own, then she's reabsorbing some of it and passing it on out.
Your goals are more focused on production and efficiency (rising feed costs!!!)fd, so if she's not able to resume laying, then culling/processing for food would be a practical approach. This is something to consider doing.

Can you post a photo of the natural stuff that you purchased for deworming? I'd be see what product(s) are on the market and how it's labeled.

I don't know of any natural remedy that will rid poultry of worms. Using an anthelmintic like Fenbendazole (Safeguard) or Albendazole (Valbazen) will be more effective and get rid of most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm, which requires a different dewormer.

You could show your Hubs the photos in this article and ask him if the odd egg was similar to the photos. If so, then it may help confirm/rule out your suspicions of Salpingitis and help you make some decisions about what to do with her.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
What dosage of Fenbendazole would you advise, I'm new to this too.

Back
Top Bottom