is this bullying or shedding

chickenlover8969

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Oct 2, 2023
ive seen shedding and bullying before im confused because he is the biggest and the rooster of the flock ive never seen any fighting with him and no sighns of it from othere hens I thought it was shedding at first but there is a tiny bit of blood on one of his quils does that happen somtimes in shedding or is it bullying

Attachments

• IMG_0228.jpeg
    IMG_0228.jpeg
    581.5 KB · Views: 40
They often get bald patches there when moulting, if there’s no blood and you don’t see bullying, I’d assume it was that.
In fact, I’m pretty sure I can see some new feathers growing in.

They often get bald patches there when moulting, if there’s no blood and you don’t see bullying, I’d assume it was that.
In fact, I’m pretty sure I can see some new feathers growing in.
there was a small drop of blood on one of the quils only one small spot could that be a cut because it isint spreaded just a spec in one spot

That could be caused by the new feathers growing in, these are often known as blood feathers as they have their own blood supply.
thanks you learn somthing new about chickens everyday im new to owning roosters so wasent sure if it was diffrent for them i did not think so but i wanted to make sure

Here are two of my roosters, noticed they have the same patches. They are both the same age (hatched together) so moulting at the same time, almost finished but they need their tails back. I don’t have a close up but they have this kind of feathers here too. These were taken a couple of weeks ago, now they are almost covered back up.

Here are two of my roosters, noticed they have the same patches. They are both the same age (hatched together) so moulting at the same time, almost finished but they need their tails back. I don’t have a close up but they have this kind of feathers here too. These were taken a couple of weeks ago, now they are almost covered back up.
is the top one a dark brahma not sure i see the leg feathers but I have never seen a rooster of a dark brahma

is the top one a dark brahma not sure i see the leg feathers but I have never seen a rooster of a dark brahma
The top (black and red) is a black copper marans, bottom (white and red) is a Brahma x layer x welsummer. Brahmas have much more leg feathers and feathered feet.
AD2B2E19-371A-4E78-8952-9FF55BEC8EDA.jpeg
here is my Brahma roo, not dark but splash, but you can see his leg feathers and small pea comb, they’re also way heavier built birds.
Hope this answers your question.

The top (black and red) is a black copper marans, bottom (white and red) is a Brahma x layer x welsummer. Brahmas have much more leg feathers and feathered feet.View attachment 3698916here is my Brahma roo, not dark but splash, but you can see his leg feathers and small pea comb, they’re also way heavier built birds.
Hope this answers your question.
yah so it has light brahma in it yah looked like it had very few leg feathers to be a brahma most of my chickens are brahmas so the leg feathers are from the brahma thou I only have buff and light so thanks I learend new stuff there my favriot breeds my light brahma rooster is huge yah brahmas are big in general but light ones have some size on buff there like the teddy bear of the chicken world lol oh and i was talking about the bottom one got them mixed up in my head thanks

Back
Top Bottom