Is this chick okay in there? (1 loud peep and rock then nothing)

pointsalamander

Songster
7 Years
Aug 24, 2016
I had 7 Bantam mix in blue eggs make it to day 18. I put them in lockdown at 100.3 and 63% humidity.

1 chick hatched sometime around 11pm Tuesday (day 19). This morning while observing a pip in a different egg. Egg #6 make the loudest peep from in an egg I've ever heard. Rocked hard enough to roll and then went still.

Well hours later egg 6 remained still with no visible pip and no additional movement.

In the meantime 3 others have hatched.

Well at 630pm (day 20) my 2 year old decided the chicks were hungry and opened the incubator (and old Styrofoam hoovabator) and added a bunch of pretzel goldfish.

Well I remove the snack. In doing so I checked the eggs for external pips knowing that *sighs* any external pips would be in trouble

None of the 3 remaining eggs showed external pips. 2 of the eggs were moving as I examined them and making quiet noises.

Egg 6 however was still and silent for it's exam.

At some point could egg 6 have hurt themselves with that violent motion in the morning? At what point in that case would you use the hatching assist steps or is it likely to late?

Photo of the chicks with their "snack"
20210210_174612.jpg

It's adorable that your litte one wants to help feed the babies!

On day 20 and no current pips you could get the dry chicks into the brooder to reduce rollovers of those trying to pip. Others can answer better on internal pippers well being, but most of what i read is don't interfere this early...let them have rest periods...and no more turning.
Hopefully you had a wonderful day 21! Let us see pix when you can! Good Luck with your hatch!

Last edited:
It's adorable that your litte one wants to help feed the babies!

On day 20 and no current pips you could get the dry chicks into the brooder to reduce rollovers of those trying to pip. Others can answer better on internal pippers well being, but most of what i read is don't interfere this early...let them have rest periods...and no more turning.
Hopefully you had a wonderful day 21! Let us see pix when you can! Good Luck with your hatch!
One of the eggs that was making noise at the exam did pip while I was sleeping. Still nothing from egg 6. I'm a little worried about it. Because now it's been 24 hours since it did that.

So far babies 1-4 haven't played to much sibling soccer
20210211_071720.jpg
20210210104040_IMG_7958.JPG

So for anyone reading the above.

Egg 6 did not make it. I went ahead and decided that after a 5th egg hatched and neither that egg or the last one had pipped externally I was doing something. I tapped both eggs no movement no sounds.

Sure enough both died in shell. Both were internally pipped. Both in excellent position. Both had fully absorbed yolks even. I found 0 reasons they didn't make it to an external pip.

Next time I'll safety hole the eggs after knowing there has been an internal pip for 12 hours instead of waiting 24.

Back
Top Bottom