Is this cocci?

Hilltop Flock

Songster
Jul 27, 2020
Indiana, USA
This morning a pullet (3.5 m/o) and a roo (2.5 m/o) both had very watery poops with what looks like blood, maybe? I poked the pink bits around a bit and they seem to be kinda solid, but slimey. Both chickens are eating, drinking and moving about normally, as is the rest of the flock. I’m try to catch them pooping again today. Does anyone think this could be normal intestinal shedding?

Attachments

• 93E6E15A-FE94-46DF-86CE-FEC490DE8CA2.jpeg
    93E6E15A-FE94-46DF-86CE-FEC490DE8CA2.jpeg
    641.9 KB · Views: 17
  • B03A2664-4B13-4932-8B69-6F6C873641AA.jpeg
    B03A2664-4B13-4932-8B69-6F6C873641AA.jpeg
    656.4 KB · Views: 10
This morning a pullet (3.5 m/o) and a roo (2.5 m/o) both had very watery poops with what looks like blood, maybe? I poked the pink bits around a bit and they seem to be kinda solid, but slimey. Both chickens are eating, drinking and moving about normally, as is the rest of the flock. I’m try to catch them pooping again today. Does anyone think this could be normal intestinal shedding?
That looks like intestinal shedding.

Ok, thanks, probably was being a little impulsive, but I had sick chick last week who I treated for cocci, and I wanted to start the others today before work if needed. Thanks for the reply!
It won't hurt to do a precautionary treatment.

I agree with @MysteryChicken it does look like intestinal shedding, but it's also quite a bit of mucous.

I would be inclined to treat for Coccidiosis.

Corid liquid is 2tsp or Corid Powder is 1 1/2tps per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

I agree with @MysteryChicken it does look like intestinal shedding, but it's also quite a bit of mucous.

I would be inclined to treat for Coccidiosis.

Corid liquid is 2tsp or Corid Powder is 1 1/2tps per gallon of water for 5-7 days.
It won't hurt to do a precautionary treatment.
Ok, I will treat them before it gets out of hand. I have read to make a fresh batch of solution everyday. Why is that?

Ok, I will treat them before it gets out of hand. I have read to make a fresh batch of solution everyday. Why is that?
It is mainly to keep the water clean since chickens can poop in the water or kick droppings and bedding into it. Keep the water at shoulder height of chickens, and put a new batch about each morning. If you have room to mix a larger portion, you can put it out in multiple or smaller waterers.

Back
Top Bottom