Is this dry fowl pox? What do I do?

myawesomepullets

Songster
Dec 8, 2020
South Carolina
Today I went to check on my flock and I noticed that one of my hens has some grey-ish colored pustules on her face. After doing a bit of research, I believe it is dry fowl pox, but I wanted to check with some more experienced chicken people who have dealt with this before.
My hen is just over two years old, a not-show-quality Rhode Island red, and she generally doesn’t have any problems, except for some breathing weirdness (drinking too much water, then gurgling when she breathes and coughing the water back up) that she’s had her whole life and doesn’t seem to have much problems with. She hasn’t molted this year. She is the top of the pecking order and generally doesn’t get pecked a ton by the other chickens. Just today, I noticed pustules on her face that are sort of greyish and round, and she doesn’t seem to be acting different because of it, and I looked at the rest of the girls’ combs and faces and they didn’t seem to have any pustules. Here is a picture of her face:
042B0E80-55E0-430D-9337-A787075D933F.jpeg

If this is indeed fowl pox, which it seems to be from what I’ve seen, what do I do? I have a limited amount of time to act on this because I will be going out of town for a week in a day or two. I am having my neighbor watch/feed the flock, but she doesn’t know much/anything about chickens, so there’s not a ton she can do.

Do you still have mosquitoes out now? It does look like dry fowl pox. No treatment is necessary, but some do use a little Betadine on scabs to dry them out. Otherwise, do not disturb the scabs as that can spread the pox virus. It usually clears up in around a month or so. Peck wounds can sometimes be mistaken for fowl pox.

Do you still have mosquitoes out now? It does look like dry fowl pox. No treatment is necessary, but some do use a little Betadine on scabs to dry them out. Otherwise, do not disturb the scabs as that can spread the pox virus. It usually clears up in around a month or so. Peck wounds can sometimes be mistaken for fowl pox.
Yep, we basically have mosquitoes year round, but a lot less in the winter. Thanks for the tips.

Back
Top Bottom