Is this fodder ok to feed the chickens?

linguini

Songster
Jan 8, 2021
Bridgewater NJ (Central NJ)
I have been growing wheat fodder for my chicken for several weeks now, and I thought it has been quite successful. When I was cutting the wheat grass and root mat into sections to feed them, I noticed some mold in the base. Is this still ok to feed them? Will this cause diarrhea? It's practically impossible to check the entire root mat for the mold. The wheat grass fodder all seem so healthy. But if I look carefully, some wheat germs are black.

Should I only cut off the green to feed them? They all seem to like the seeds at the base though.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9191 copy.jpg
    IMG_9191 copy.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 55
I have been growing wheat fodder for my chicken for several weeks now, and I thought it has been quite successful. When I was cutting the wheat grass and root mat into sections to feed them, I noticed some mold in the base. Is this still ok to feed them? Will this cause diarrhea? It's practically impossible to check the entire root mat for the mold. The wheat grass fodder all seem so healthy. But if I look carefully, some wheat germs are black.

Should I only cut off the green to feed them? They all seem to like the seeds at the base though.

Thanks!
Moldy feed in any form can be toxic to chickens. I wouldn't feed them those mats, just my thoughts anyway. You can research feeding moldy food to chickens by internet search and there are many topics that say not to :) I hope this helps?

Back
Top Bottom