Is this homemade feed recipe complete?

Oat groats are recommended by Dr. Ian Billinghurst as being better than oatmeal.
I've seen steel cut oats recommended over oatmeal for people because the steel cut oats have a lower glycemic index. This is because it takes digestive enzymes longer to reach the middle of the larger particles. Since chickens don't usually eat much sugar, this should matter less for them.

I fed my dog prey-model raw, so I've been familiar with what Dr Billinghurst says about dog and cat diets for a long time. I am grateful he opened the concept of raw feeding dogs and cats and the concept of looking at what wolves and bobcats eat in the wild. He starts losing me at the inclusion (for dogs and cats) of 10% fruits and vegetables - giving examples of broccoli, celery, seaweed. And yogurt. And at the "including humans" part of "This is the diet evolution designed for ALL ANIMALS (including humans)." Quote from his website.

I don't object to feeding dogs broccoli, yogurt, and seaweed as much as I object to that deviation from "the diet evolution designed" being recommended but no deviation from raw being tolerated in any food for any species. And, yes, wolves in the wild will eat some berries, grass, and stomach contents of their prey. There are some studies that measured how much vegetable matter they eat - it is very, very, very little.

I've seen steel cut oats recommended over oatmeal for people because the steel cut oats have a lower glycemic index. This is because it takes digestive enzymes longer to reach the middle of the larger particles. Since chickens don't usually eat much sugar, this should matter less for them.

I fed my dog prey-model raw, so I've been familiar with what Dr Billinghurst says about dog and cat diets for a long time. I am grateful he opened the concept of raw feeding dogs and cats and the concept of looking at what wolves and bobcats eat in the wild. He starts losing me at the inclusion (for dogs and cats) of 10% fruits and vegetables - giving examples of broccoli, celery, seaweed. And yogurt. And at the "including humans" part of "This is the diet evolution designed for ALL ANIMALS (including humans)." Quote from his website.

I don't object to feeding dogs broccoli, yogurt, and seaweed as much as I object to that deviation from "the diet evolution designed" being recommended but no deviation from raw being tolerated in any food for any species. And, yes, wolves in the wild will eat some berries, grass, and stomach contents of their prey. There are some studies that measured how much vegetable matter they eat - it is very, very, very little.
Thanks but I have decided to go with New country organics and it has been great!!

Oat Groats are more natural; the closer to nature the better and they will have a higher nutrient content, especially if they are Organic.
With respect, that's magical thinking. Organic does not necessarily have a higher nutrient content than a non-organic equivalent. Organic IS susceptible to nutritional deficiencies related to the grounds on which the crop is grown, there being fewer means of supplimenting or amending soils on commercial scale using organic methods. But its not necessarily worse, either. Since oatmeal (at least here in the US, but likely elsewhere) is routinely enriched or "fortified", that very processed oatmeal in the cardboard cannister may well be nutritionally superior to oat graots across a host of metrics. If not fortified, the answer is much less certain.

That's why I asked the question of the original poster. Being unsure how "better" was being measured, the best answer is a firm "maybe", or perhaps "it depends" (somewhat more accurately).

Oat Groats are more natural; the closer to nature the better and they will have a higher nutrient content, especially if they are Organic.
Ignoring the matter of whether it's organic or not, if you want a less-processed oat, just use whole oats. That would be even closer to natural than oat groats, and presumably lose even less nutrients.

Yes, apparently rolled oats do have a bit more processing-- I've read that they are steamed as well as rolled, so that would mean they've got extra cooking in addition to extra surface area, both of which could have some effect on nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom