Is This Lice?

Pics
If you get some diatomaceous earth for them to bathe in, it’ll kill them. To make it last longer I mix it with some dirt they like bathing in. You can get some from the pool section.
DE will not kill an infestation, and not likely to prevent one.
DO NOT USE pool grade DE...if you must use DE get food grade.

I think I found lice on one of my roos. He's separated from all the other birds (they don't get along) and I don't see any signs of the others having it. They are currently molting though. I wasn't able to check all of them as thoroughly as I wanted. It's way too hot outside. I didn't see any bugs or nits on any of the others. I haven't seen any nits on this one. Is it possible that since the roo doesn't come into contact with the other birds he's the only one that has it? How should I treat it?View attachment 2813415
The Poultry Protector DOES indeed work and is not nearly as harsh as the horse sprays like permethrin, or garden dust like seven. These items work too, but why subject your flock to harsh chemicals. I only use these items in an emergency situation where the chicken is infested with LOTS of bugs (these chickens come to me from a rescue situation, as mine get monthly maintenance) In addition, you EAT the eggs that your chickens are laying. Do you want those harsh chemicals on the outside of the eggs you eat? In the case of your roo, I know that is not the issue, but in general....

The lice and mites that bother chickens will bite humans, but they can not live on human hosts. I spray my chickens once an month around the vents and under the wings with Poultry Protector and use First Saturday Lime for inside laying boxes and around the perimeter of my coops and runs. First Saturday lime works and is on the healthier side as well. With monthly maintenance, you should not have a need for the harsh chemicals. Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom