Is This Normal? Fall Egg Laying

kschickenlady

Hatching
Jun 26, 2023
Northeast Kansas
Hello all!
This is my first year with my own flock so I’m a little unsure of what I’m experiencing is normal egg laying behavior for this time of year, or if something is off. I received my chicks in February (8 hens and 1 rooster), everyone got off to a great start, and they slowly started laying around the Fourth of July. By the end of August, I was getting anywhere from 5-7 eggs a day very reliably, averaging 6 or so. We never hit an 8 egg day but I was pretty confident everyone was laying and some just missed a day (I have a variety of breeds; RIR, SLW, Barnevelder, Welsummer, BO, Americauna, Olive Egger, and a BCM)

At the beginning of September, I was forced to change feed due to a feed store closure. Then I traveled for work for 2 weeks, so my husband was mostly in charge of them. During that time, they dropped down to only 2-5 eggs a day and have stayed there. Yesterday I collected 3 and the day before 4.

I guess my question is, could this be normal? The days are a little shorter now, and it’s been a little warmer than usual. Could the decreased egg laying be due to light decreasing as we progress into the fall? Or should I look at other factors - the feed change, stress, health concerns, etc? I am not exactly sure who is *not* laying or not laying as productively.

Any advice appreciated. I don’t know anyone else with a backyard flock to ask if their production is down or not :D
Thanks!!

The days are a little shorter now
The days are ~4 hours shorter since the summer solstice in June, and ~2 hours shorter since mid August. Yes, the days are getting exponentially shorter.

Moss chickens have a full molt the second fall/winter of their lives, which they are usually about 14-18 months old. Chickens the age of yours(8-9 months old) may have a full or partial molt and/or may slow/stop laying.

So yes, it's normal.

What percentage of protein did the former feed contain? And how much protein does the one you are feeding now contains?

Back
Top Bottom