Is this normal? Trimmed spurs are now black.

monoditri

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2021
Hello! I posted a few days ago about my rooster who is now on an antibiotic and is much better/almost his complete normal self. He had a date with the hens and they welcomed him very sweetly and kept bumping his chest like a funny group hug.

I have an add'l question. I just noticed that his spurs are very black. This is not a sudden onset. I've noticed a gradual color change (I think) but assumed it was normal just like his plumage changes and his wattles go from red to dark to red over time. But the spurs seem so dark! The tip of one spur is black for one centimeter, the other one is completely black all the way up to where it starts at his leg. They used to be more yellow, like bone colored I think, before we trimmed them. We trimmed his spurs 2 months ago with a hand saw. Only one spur bled and I packed it with an antibiotic cream (polysporin if I remember right) and paper tape changing it every day for a few days. He was in perfect health until 3-4 days ago but I'm worried his black spurs has something to do with his new illness. Is this a normal color?

EDIT: Posted photos.
Honestly I cannot say for sure that they changed color, only that it's been nagging at me for some time. Now that he's been sick I'm more worried. I've never had such a large rooster before (just bantams and I never paid attention to their minor spurs) and when I compare him to photos others don't have black spurs. Now I'm just anxious about it. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2878.JPG
    IMG_2878.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2883.JPG
    IMG_2883.JPG
    294.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2884.jpg
    IMG_2884.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I don't really see anything concerning about the spurs.

Looking at your other thread, it sounds like your rooster was ill from something, but with vet care and medication, it seems like he's recovered. I would think that if the spurs were part of the issue, the vet would have pointed that out.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...emptying-normal-refuses-to-eat-drink.1497678/
Thanks for the reply. He is back to his old self thankfully.

It's a relief to know they look normal to you and to consider that the vet didn't find them odd either. I've been overthinking everything about him ever since he got sick. lol

Back
Top Bottom