Is this normal?

Miss Cheep

Songster
Aug 6, 2021
WA state
Hi! I have this male Muscovy duck named Coal, and he is my favorite duck. He lets me pet him and always does this when I come up to him. Him and all his sons do this, is this normal? I’ve watched videos of other male muscovies and they don’t do this.

Hi! I have this male Muscovy duck named Coal, and he is my favorite duck. He lets me pet him and always does this when I come up to him. Him and all his sons do this, is this normal? I’ve watched videos of other male muscovies and they don’t do this.
Interested in the answer(s) you get. I am brand new to ducks and raising two now. One is a duckling that I found in the wild only a few days old that I believe is a Muscovy.

My muscovy drakes do exactly that. They seem to sigh while their throat is trembling, when they are excited. One makes the audible sigh; the other does it more silently. Their tails are also wagging furiously with excitement. My more silent drake, will raise the crest on his head and neck, too

My muscovy drakes do exactly that. They seem to sigh while their throat is trembling, when they are excited. One makes the audible sigh; the other does it more silently. Their tails are also wagging furiously with excitement. My more silent drake, will raise the crest on his head and neck, too
Oh good, now I know I’m not the only one with a strange Muscovy. People I know with male muscovies says theirs don’t this, and my friends with no ducks think he’s weird and scary lol.

When my boy sighs like that, I imitate him. He's not amused!!! But I think he is so funny when he does it. The other more silent muscovy drake likes to join in, so I think I will too!!!

Muscovy drakes also "fly catch" when they are excited. While they are well able to catch live flies, they also "fly catch" whether or not flies are actually present when they are excited. Between huffing and sighing, they hold their heads and bills high and then open and close their mouths as if they are catching flies!!

My pekin drakes are very vocal and join in shouting loudly. I don't think they know what the muscovy are saying, but they recognize excitement!!

Muscovy drakes also "fly catch" when they are excited. While they are well able to catch live flies, they also "fly catch" whether or not flies are actually present when they are excited. Between huffing and sighing, they hold their heads and bills high and then open and close their mouths as if they are catching flies!!

My pekin drakes are very vocal and join in shouting loudly. I don't think they know what the muscovy are saying, but they recognize excitement!!
Oh yes mine do that too lol. I have always wondered what that meant.

Back
Top Bottom