Is this normal?

katycouts

Chirping
Oct 20, 2022
Help! I’m worried I have a mean rooster. He’s about 5 months old he doesn’t have his spurs yet but I’m worried about him. I go in the coop all the time but lately he’s been following me around and kind of charging at me. It’s getting scary. I don’t know if I’m overreacting.

If you want to keep him, don't give up hope yet. He's still young enough that you might be able to reform him.

I ended up with two roosters from last year's Murray McMurray bantams. One constantly attacked both me and the other rooster. Pauly got rehomed with my avian vet. With him gone, Billy Boy became decidedly more aggressive -- stalking and flying at me; he drew blood once.

I spent weeks working on his bad behavior -- I tried all the recommended tricks I could find. Eventually, I decided to react to him the way by mirroring his behavior.

Billy used to run at me for no reason at all; I started running at him, waving my arms and making (what I think are) threatening sounds. Each and every time I saw him, I performed my best crazy chicken lady act, sneaking up behind him when he was eating, following him around the yard. It took some time, but ...

Now, at about a year and a half old, Billy not only doesn't attack me, he turns and leaves when he sees me approaching. We'll likely never be friends, but he's a good-looking boy who takes good care of his girls.

Good luck with your boy!

I trained our young stud last year. Make him think you are taller, take anything with you all the time around him. One thing that helped me train our guy is he was interested in the new chicks so, he became the chicks babysitter at the time. I use to carry a tall rod with me. Don't get trapped behind the laying boards like I did. It was scary. Don't turn your back and keep him in sight all the time.

Certain methods might work for some and might not work for others. Be careful. Don't run away from him and keep him in sight all the time. Do not run in the run or enclosure. I ran allot. When I ran he ran and so did the hens. Walk normal

Back
Top Bottom