Is this Prolapse?

yukariyoko

Hatching
May 31, 2021
Hello,

I’m new here and hope someone with experience with raising chickens can help me.

Here is the story from the beginning:

I have had a chicken from my flock separated and living inside for about 3 months. At first we noticed that she must have sort of infection (stinky, white fluid was coming out of cloaca), so we took her to a vet. We gave her 2 rounds of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories, but she just never got completely better. She’s always picking at her butt and her feathers didn’t regrow in the back.

Honestly, I’ve wanted to reintroduce her back to the flock, but we’re having a broody hen problem so I’ve held off. ANYWAY, yesterday she laid a malformed egg (she hasn’t laid an egg since she was with the flock) and her insides appear to be hanging out. We thought maybe it was prolapse and tried to shove it back in, but that doesn’t seem to have helped. She seems to still be clenching.

We have been giving her epsom salt baths and she’s tolerant of that. I want to save this hen if possible, but I just can’t afford to take her to the vet again (she’s been twice). It’s far away, the vet is kind of stumped why she’s not better at this point, and very expensive.

Anyone have advice for me?

Attachments

• 4D7A3A49-BBE8-4C97-BFA6-A481827C4C07.jpeg
    4D7A3A49-BBE8-4C97-BFA6-A481827C4C07.jpeg
    377.9 KB · Views: 15
Hello,

I’m new here and hope someone with experience with raising chickens can help me.

Here is the story from the beginning:

I have had a chicken from my flock separated and living inside for about 3 months. At first we noticed that she must have sort of infection (stinky, white fluid was coming out of cloaca), so we took her to a vet. We gave her 2 rounds of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories, but she just never got completely better. She’s always picking at her butt and her feathers didn’t regrow in the back.

Honestly, I’ve wanted to reintroduce her back to the flock, but we’re having a broody hen problem so I’ve held off. ANYWAY, yesterday she laid a malformed egg (she hasn’t laid an egg since she was with the flock) and her insides appear to be hanging out. We thought maybe it was prolapse and tried to shove it back in, but that doesn’t seem to have helped. She seems to still be clenching.

We have been giving her epsom salt baths and she’s tolerant of that. I want to save this hen if possible, but I just can’t afford to take her to the vet again (she’s been twice). It’s far away, the vet is kind of stumped why she’s not better at this point, and very expensive.

Anyone have advice for me?
That looks like she has/had vent gleet. She must have strained to get the malformed egg out if she prolapsed.
Can you clean her up and take a new picture?
You'll have to get the swelling down to make the tissue stay inside.
I would start feeding her fermented feed to help rebalance her gut. It wouldn't hurt on an anti-fungal for suspected vent gleet. Give this article a read.

Back
Top Bottom