Is this rabbit really pregnant?

hens4thehudds

Songster
8 Years
Jul 7, 2011
San Marcos, California
I have a lion-head doe that is about 7 months old. I bred her previously she pulled fur 17 days in and ... then no kits. This is the second try. She was bred on the 5th of Nov. She is due tomorrow. However, 21 days into the pregnancy she started building a nest. I gave her a nest box because she was carrying around mouthfuls of hay. (no fur pulling) She built her nest and hasn't touched it since. I guess I was wondering if anyone thinks its a false pregnancy again? Or if she started nesting late enough for it to be legit this time...
Thanks for any advice!
big_smile.png

There is little Lily...I hope she is going to have babies...
fl.gif

Until you actually get a litter from your doe, you can't be sure what her behavior indicates. The does don't read "the book," so they don't know what they are supposed to do, lol. I had one doe that totally ignored her nest box until mere minutes before the kits started arriving; I also had one who started fur pulling on day 21 and continued until after the kits were born (she was almost completely bald by then.) I would consider the fact that she messed with only hay, no fur, as a good sign, but it's hard to say with no track record.

Good luck!
fl.gif

UPDATE! Lily had 6 healthy babies at around 8pm I checked her cage before bed and she had them all in the nest box all covered and warm. What a good momma! Thanks again for your help! I'll post some pics tomorrow:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom