Is this Scaly Leg Mites? What’s wrong w spurs?

MOyoChicks

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2024
I have a 2 1/2 yo Silver Lace Wyandotte rooster. His spurs look scaly and cracked. I wonder if it’s a fungus. But I’m more worried about if he has Scaly Leg Mites. (See pics) Otherwise I don’t see any health issues. His feet have always been a little red. I’ve seen no changes in behavior or poop. He’s aggressive toward me, but that’s nothing new. I feed Purina layer feed and they all (10 hens & this guy) free range. While I would like to see what worked for you to treat spur fungus (?) or leg mites, I’m more concerned about HOW am I going get ahold of this aggressive guy to treat his feet without injury to myself?!! I can’t see plucking him off the roost at night. Any suggestions and encouragement are welcome. Thanks for “listening”. 🐥

Attachments

• IMG_5885.jpeg
    IMG_5885.jpeg
    336.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5879.jpeg
    IMG_5879.jpeg
    338.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5880.jpeg
    IMG_5880.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 8
Welcome To BYC.

Likely it's damage that is on the spurs, he may be rubbing them on something like each other or on wire/fencing, possible damage from kicking/fighting.

Give the spurs a trim, but they may crack if you use something like dog nail clippers. I use a dremel and it works well. You may want to work some Vitamin E oil into the spurs for a couple of weeks before trimming so they don't split or crack.

Looks like the beginning of SLM. Vaseline, Nustock Cream or Castor oil worked into and up under the scales of the legs/feet will take care of that.

If he's an aggressive rooster, do you need him? If so, then wait until after dark to get a hold of him. Take him off the roost, swaddle him in a towel/cloth, then work on him. Keep his head loosely covered with cloth so he is a bit more docile and he can't see to bite very well.

Back
Top Bottom