Is this thermometer accurate?

There are many good articles on this. Here's an excerpt from The beginners Guide to Incubation https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-beginners-guide-to-incubation.73350/?page=2
"To calibrate your thermometer, fill a glass with ice and leave it out to melt until the glass is half water and half ice. Put your thermometer in the glass, give it a couple minutes to get to temperature, and check it. It should read 32 degrees Fahrenheit. If it does, great! Your thermometer is accurate and you can use it to set the temperature in your incubator."

Right now its showing... my humidity as 30% even though there is little to no water.

Most places have some amount of water in the air.
30% humidity with no added water does not surprise me.

(It might not be correct-- calibration is a good idea-- but it is a number that easily could be correct.)

You can't do that with that digital thermometer.

It's probably similar to this.
20220429_084917.jpg

The sensors are in the back on the inside of the unit.

The link isn't working for me either, but if it's one of those one-piece thermometer-and-hygrometer combos like in the picture above, I would not use it because there's no way to calibrate it (you can't dunk it in ice water). I'd recommend a reptile probe thermometer - you can put just the probe in the ice water, and the body of the thermometer with the battery and the electronics will be safe and dry.

You can still use it as a hygrometer (calibration instructions in that same article)and use a separate thermometer- one that you can calibrate. You can never have too many thermometers.
I had an old thermometer I used but found my dual digital, like pictured, had the same temp readings so considered it safe to use on its own.

AcuRites are ok for general use, but I wouldn't trust one for incubating. They just aren't built to be accurate enough.
Any general use thermometer is only supposed to be within ±2°F. That isn't close enough for reliable hatch rates.

Back
Top Bottom