Isa Brown

Inmanfarm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Oakland County, Michigan
My Isa Browns are 16 weeks old (4 Hens), and on Sunday July 18th we had 1 small egg , which I read this is Mother Natures way of getting the hen ready for larger ones. But this egg had both yoke and white??? Normal???? The following day we discovered a large egg!!!!! The large egg had 3 yokes , all the same size as the smaller egg?????? The very next day, July 20th we had another small egg????? But since then no eggs, is this normal?????? We're pretty green at this and learnig as we go.

I'm thrilled to hear about your ISA eggs! Ours were hatched at the end of March so they are not far behind yours...and our waiting list for eggs grows longer every day.

As far as the inconsistency of new layers...very normal. You might not get an egg every day. And the multiple-yolk eggs just mean that they spit out a few yolks from the ovary all at once, normal for newbies to happen. In fact, most of our multiple-yolk eggs come in the late summer when our spring chicks start laying.

Expect the unexpected until they mature......large eggs, small eggs, soft eggs, no eggs, but in the end, normal eggs,

Sandie

smile.png
Thank-you very much for the info. We are having so much fun with the girls (chickens)!!!!!

Last edited:
I had my first ISA egg today! YEA! I don't like to encourage early maturity but it's always fun to see the first egg from this spring's chicks. IT was pretty dark, darker than my RIR's and a bit bigger than a silkie egg.

Back
Top Bottom