ISO male crested cream legbar chick

Bobbyc1980

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2023
I’m looking for the best place to buy a quality male cream legbar chick for breeding purposes. And probably a few pullets. Really don’t want to order from Hoover since they’re not really breeding them for the auto sexing trait. Maybe McMurray? Any help would be appreciated

I’m looking for the best place to buy a quality male cream legbar chick for breeding purposes. And probably a few pullets. Really don’t want to order from Hoover since they’re not really breeding them for the auto sexing trait. Maybe McMurray? Any help would be appreciated
Cambridgeshire England. That's where they originate from. They are fairly common in the South West of the UK.
If you want a quality bird with the physical and behavioural charcterstics the breed is supposed to have then one needs to get them at source and that's England.

Carbon.
P4300943.JPG

I'd look for local breeders and talk to them. Ask what traits they breed for, how long they've been breeding, ect

Seriously, if you are looking for a quality bird/birds to breed from and you want the real thing and not something that just looks like the breed with a much reduced lifespan and poor genetics then you have to get them from where they were originally bred.
If you look into importing such a bird if you are outside the EU and UK you will understand why the chances of you getting what you are after are slim.
The cost and problems of importing will give you a far better understanding of what you are likely to get from hatchery stock and why the stock breeders outside the areas mentioned above are unlikely to have imported birds of the right qualities to strenghen the gene pool.

Seriously, if you are looking for a quality bird/birds to breed from and you want the real thing and not something that just looks like the breed with a much reduced lifespan and poor genetics then you have to get them from where they were originally bred.
If you look into importing such a bird if you are outside the EU and UK you will understand why the chances of you getting what you are after are slim.
The cost and problems of importing will give you a far better understanding of what you are likely to get from hatchery stock and why the stock breeders outside the areas mentioned above are unlikely to have imported birds of the right qualities to strenghen the gene pool.
I wouldn’t even know where to begin to import them 😑

I don't mean to sound discouraging, or disparaging but if you want to breed quality birds, particulalry birds that originate from another country then you need to know about such things.
There are countless so called breeders who churn out the same sub par birds that supply the hatcheries for example.
If one wants to be the real thing then one has to go the extra mile to achieve that.

I don't mean to sound discouraging, or disparaging but if you want to breed quality birds, particulalry birds that originate from another country then you need to know about such things.
There are countless so called breeders who churn out the same sub par birds that supply the hatcheries for example.
If one wants to be the real thing then one has to go the extra mile to achieve that.
Oh not discouraging at all my friend. I’ve imported dogs from Europe but never chickens 😅. Any starter tips?

Oh not discouraging at all my friend. I’ve imported dogs from Europe but never chickens 😅. Any starter tips?
I'm afraid not. I'm not a breeder and I am fortunate in this respect at least to live in the UK and before that Europe. Until fairly recently it was reasonably easy to import 5 live birds from any country within Europe and relatively easy to import from Asia and the middle east into Europe.

Oooorrrr, and bear with me here...

You look for breeders that are actually breeding their flocks to the standard. Just because it isn't from the same exact place it originated doesn't mean the bird is poor quality.

Back
Top Bottom