ISO PINK and PURPLE EGGLAYER

aChixlady

Chirping
Feb 12, 2020
Hi all! I am interested in constructing a colorful basket for some eye candy within the timeframe of yesterday and the near few months. Also I just want to see the possibilities. I am already set on the majority of colors so far if the chickens lay the correct color accordingly....except I’d like to add a pink, purplish, sage, moss, eggs to the pickings.
Also, would this require me buying a chicken that produces the eggs already not a chick?
Is there guaranteed so to speak any egg colors of the listed of chickens I don’t already own?
I have currently as follows:

Attachments

• A4175117-80B9-42CC-A16F-06081A759EA2.jpeg
    A4175117-80B9-42CC-A16F-06081A759EA2.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 13
There really isn't a breed in the US (if that is where you are) that lays pink or purple eggs.

I once had an orpington that laid a pinkish egg from time to time.
I have a Penedesenca that lays a plum colored egg but that is from an application of calcium over the top of the already intense reddish maroon color.
Croad Langshans (only in Britain) are supposed to lay plum colored eggs but some people say that is just because of the bloom. There are Langshans in the US>
There are chickens in South America that lay yellow, pink and orange eggs but none of them are in the US.

Last edited:
I have Easter Eggers that lay blue, green, and pink eggs. You may be able to find an EE layer that just lays pink, but given the mixed genetic heritage of the EE, its progeny would likely not lay a pink egg. I also have a Black Copper Marans that lays a dark brown egg with a "plummy" bloom, making it have a purplish cast. Croad Langshans are acknowledged to be part of the BCM genetic makeup, so "plum" BCM eggs are within the realm of possibility.

Best of luck in your endeavor - colorful egg baskets are a lot of fun!

There really isn't a breed in the US (if that is where you are) that lays pink or purple eggs.

I once had an orpington that laid a pinkish egg from time to time.
I have a Penedesenca that lays a plum colored egg but that is from an application of calcium over the top of the already intense reddish maroon color.
Croad Langshans (only in Britain) are supposed to lay plum colored eggs but some people say that is just because of the bloom. There are Langshans in the US>
There are chickens in South America that lay yellow, pink and orange eggs but none of them are in the US.
:lau Thank You, plum color like Kalamata olives is purple to me or any shade that is between a Cayuga Welsummer or Maran and will suffice, so Penedesenca is my only option without import?

I have Easter Eggers that lay blue, green, and pink eggs. You may be able to find an EE layer that just lays pink, but given the mixed genetic heritage of the EE, its progeny would likely not lay a pink egg. I also have a Black Copper Marans that lays a dark brown egg with a "plummy" bloom, making it have a purplish cast. Croad Langshans are acknowledged to be part of the BCM genetic makeup, so "plum" BCM eggs are within the realm of possibility.

Best of luck in your endeavor - colorful egg baskets are a lot of fun!
Thanks, I agree the likely good of that EE laying a pink egg isn’t enough for me to stock em... sadly I will cross my fingers for the Maran I’m getting!

There are no true pink or purple eggs. As ChickenCanoe said it's the result of excess calcium/bloom. Cream and tans with an extra coating can look pink and darker eggs appear purple.
Okay is there a way to affect bloom colors or something? I know that’s crazy sounding probably lol but I’m totally new haha 😂

Back
Top Bottom