Isolating the Dilute gene

Miami Leghorn

Howling from the Sigma Den 🛸🏴‍☠️
9 Years
May 7, 2014
Florida
Good morning.
I'm posting this question because I have been looking at Henk's site, and fiddling with the loci -Thank you @ChicKat !- and am curious about a few of the results on the calculator.
Something that stuck out for me at this point in my research prepping for my Duckwing Leghorn project is the dilute gene.
Does anyone know what has been done to corner, and hold-tangibly, the dilute gene?
I hope I'm using the proper language here.
Is it something that is accidentally come upon? Is this a wild goose chase,or is it something simple to breed for? Once found can it be controlled,and repeated?
Any thoughts and info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Its just a gene so when you have it or breed it in its easy to control and maintain. It's dominate so one copy will show.

I've been doing some research on this and I'm getting mixed signals here. Maybe I've haven't understood it correctly.
I've been told that it would be easy to breed for example; a Light Brown leghorn with creme hackles and saddles, by crossing it with a silver leghorn, yet hard to retain that color in subsequent breedings.
I'm corresponding with someone here in the States and they are working on Duckwing Leghorns that are supposedly breeding true. The shades are off a bit, but the pattern is there for the most part. Waiting for pics on those.
But without getting sidetracked, if diluting gene is dominant, why do some people say it's going to be difficult to get Gold Duckwings to breed true if all it takes according to some individuals is to introduce the dilute gene to the Light Brown and eventually you'll have a dominant dilute in there? Why then I have read, Gold Duckwing Phoenix's and Games do not breed true?

Back
Top Bottom