Issue with hatched chick

Frenchey

Hatching
Mar 25, 2024
This is my first time hatching chicks. We had one hatch 2 days again and everything seemed fine only to find it dead a few hours later.

This chick had nearly hatched and then progress stopped last night. It had been going for 48 hours. We thought it had died. When I went to remove unhatched eggs it started chirping. I helped it hatch (I know I should not have done this but if figured either way it was going to die). Its legs stretch out and shake and it hasn’t lifted its head.

Is this a neurological issue or bacteria infection? The egg it came from had an unpleasant odor.

Attachments

• IMG_2352.jpeg
    IMG_2352.jpeg
    522.8 KB · Views: 19
Leg issues are common with assisted chicks. I know you had to but now, I don't know as if it was starting to rot, you'd need to clean that off the chick, yet so young that can't be good for it.

If it were me, I'd first let it rest a little under heat. It should be at around 95F. Once it perks up a little, then see what you think about its physical condition. If there's still stinky stuff on the chick, I'd wash it with warm water and a little soap and not get it on its face or eyes, then blow dry on warm until it's dry, then put it back under the heat.

If you can get it to drink, Poultry Cell water might help its bones/muscles. If it has splayed legs, you'll have to bind them.

Let us know what you find out.

And btw, welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom