Jersey Giant bad butt

DonHess

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 26, 2015
Westmoreland County, Virginia
Sorry for cross-posting, but I put this elsewhere a month ago and only got 1 reply. It was suggested that Emergencies/Diseases might be a better choice. Here is the link to my original post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...as-an-ugly-lump-near-her-cloaca#post_18151603.

And, here is a cut-and-paste:

Bessie has the ugly butt you see below. I first noticed it yesterday (edit: March 5, 2017). Today I picked her up, calmed her down and turned her over to examine the area. The bloated blob is not hard, it is soft and pliable. I felt around finger-deep up the cloaca and could feel nothing unusual. I had thought she might be egg-bound, but that doesn't appear to be the case. My other Jersey Giants have grey, fluffy, health-looking butts. Can anyone help identify the problem and tell me how serious it is and what to do next?

Don

(Edit #2: it is now April 10, he bald butt area has become larger; a second black jersey giant has the same thing starting, and my third and final looks perfect)

Is this a problem, or something I can simply ignore?

LL

I can say a few words which may be only of limited help. That does not look normal and none of my JG have developed anything like this. I would take her to see a bird doctor and get a professional opinion if this seems to be spreading. Unrelated, she should have yellow feet, black underside is considered a fault. Typically means there is too much Langshan in the blood line. Best Wishes!

Oh dear, I see this is an old post. Is anyone still reading this? I have exactly the same problem with my Jersey Giants. The biggest (and mine do have yellow feet), had a bald butt for weeks but didn't seem bothered. She did lay absolutely huge double yolk eggs. One day the bald butt went very red and swollen. I brought her inside and called my vet. She came to see her and said she'd never seen anything like it, and thought she had peritonitis and possibly a mummified egg. By the next day it was so much worse, and the poor chook couldn't even lay down. We ended up putting her down. Now, two weeks later, another Jersey Giant has a bald butt - not red, and she's still laying. What IS this????

Oh dear, I see this is an old post. Is anyone still reading this? I have exactly the same problem with my Jersey Giants. The biggest (and mine do have yellow feet), had a bald butt for weeks but didn't seem bothered. She did lay absolutely huge double yolk eggs. One day the bald butt went very red and swollen. I brought her inside and called my vet. She came to see her and said she'd never seen anything like it, and thought she had peritonitis and possibly a mummified egg. By the next day it was so much worse, and the poor chook couldn't even lay down. We ended up putting her down. Now, two weeks later, another Jersey Giant has a bald butt - not red, and she's still laying. What IS this????
I gave you a reply on the other thread..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...she-has-an-ugly-lump-near-her-cloaca.1156826/

Back
Top Bottom