Jersey Giant lethargy symptoms Please help!

The-White-Elephant

Philippians 4:13
Nov 3, 2021
NC
Hello, I have a white Jersey Giant chicken that was hatched in early March. Today I have noticed that when I was feeding the other chickens, this one Jersey giant will not eat. It will not stay with the other chickens. I don’t think it is drinking water either. I think that she has lethargy, possibly form the styrofoam that she ate yesterday. How do I fix this? She is one of my favorites. Any help is appreciated.

Welcome to BYC.
How old is the bird?
What exactly do you feed on a daily basis and when was the last time you brought new to you birds home?
Can you get clear pictures of the bird and fresh poop laid by the bird?

Hello, thank you for the very quick reply. She’s about 6.5 months old and is laying. We feed her what we feed all the other chickens: 16% layer pellets, and some cracked corn. So sorry for the bad quality of the pictures, she wouldn’t stay still. As of this moment she does seem a little better but still won’t really eat or peck at anything

Attachments

• 07FA217C-3908-47E8-9496-0509D2367455.jpeg
    07FA217C-3908-47E8-9496-0509D2367455.jpeg
    767.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 514B6ADA-0D04-4FFB-8D8A-19E4899431AF.jpeg
    514B6ADA-0D04-4FFB-8D8A-19E4899431AF.jpeg
    607 KB · Views: 3
Hello, thank you for the very quick reply. She’s about 6.5 months old and is laying. We feed her what we feed all the other chickens: 16% layer pellets, and some cracked corn. So sorry for the bad quality of the pictures, she wouldn’t stay still. As of this moment she does seem a little better but still won’t really eat or peck at anything
Do you feed cracked corn daily?

If so stop. By feeding cracked corn daily or often you are taking away from them getting a balanced diet which the 16% layer feed is.
Birds that don't get a balanced diet can become overweight very easily without you even noticing with just your eyes...
Overweight birds are much more likely to suffer from anyone of the numerous reproductive disorders.

Yes I do feed it daily usually. Thank you for this info, I didn’t know that. I even tried to feed the lethargic chicken some game bird food, which she and the other chickens go crazy for all the time, but she only pecked at it once and no more. I also forgot to mention this, but it looks like her comb shrunk a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom