Jumbo Coturnix Aren't Laying

holiday hawk

Chirping
Apr 12, 2023
I've gotten very, very low egg production from my quail over the the weeks I've had them. I've made a video showing their setup, if anyone can look it over and see if they can see something I'm doing wrong. Here is a link to our:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hntW2S6mEAGPum2M9

One thing I forgot to mention in the video is their age. The guy I bought them from said he had some they were different ages in the pen I he got mine out of, but the youngest would be 4 weeks and the oldest would be about 6, so mine are anywhere from 7-9 weeks old at this point. I would just think that they were all late bloomers if it wasn't for the fact they have laid the five eggs they have already paid.

I've gotten very, very low egg production from my quail over the the weeks I've had them. I've made a video showing their setup, if anyone can look it over and see if they can see something I'm doing wrong. Here is a link to our:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hntW2S6mEAGPum2M9

One thing I forgot to mention in the video is their age. The guy I bought them from said he had some they were different ages in the pen I he got mine out of, but the youngest would be 4 weeks and the oldest would be about 6, so mine are anywhere from 7-9 weeks old at this point. I would just think that they were all late bloomers if it wasn't for the fact they have laid the five eggs they have already paid.
7-9 weeks is still very young. you should only really worry if they dont start laying when they're around 12+ weeks. since they're still very young and just barely starting to lay, its going to be very inconsistent. after a week or two it should begin to level out though

7-9 weeks is still very young. you should only really worry if they dont start laying when they're around 12+ weeks. since they're still very young and just barely starting to lay, its going to be very inconsistent. after a week or two it should begin to level out though

I had heard they laid younger than that. They makes me feel much better, though, I was afraid there was something about the setup that was really stressing them. I will just keep waiting a few more weeks before worrying about it then!

Stress or lack of light are the two things that are usually the cause for not laying. They need at least 14 hours of light per day to lay consistently.

How many males are in there?
Are there any predators hanging around?
Is there a lot of movement in their area?

I have five jumbos, three of which are just over 8 weeks old and two which are 7 weeks. I think only 1 is laying so far! I’ve heard that jumbos take a bit longer on average than standards to start laying consistently. I’ve had a grand total of like 7 eggs over the past 2 weeks, only 4 of which have been “normal” (well-formed and edible). Just so you don’t feel alone 😊

Hello everyone! So I came to this post to grab the URL to the video I posted and realized I forgot to reply to a lot of people, I'm very sorry! While I am here I can give an update that I am not getting three eggs everyday! I'm assuming everyone else is also right on the verge of laying regularly, so it looks like they were still just a little young.

Hello everyone! So I came to this post to grab the URL to the video I posted and realized I forgot to reply to a lot of people, I'm very sorry! While I am here I can give an update that I am not getting three eggs everyday! I'm assuming everyone else is also right on the verge of laying regularly, so it looks like they were still just a little young.

Since about the 9-10 week mark we've been getting 4 eggs daily from our 5 hens. Still one holdout, but she should get there any day now (this is week 11).

We got our 5th egg today :ya Finally 5/5 are laying, the oldest 3 are exactly 12 weeks old (84 days) today and the youngest 2 are 11.4 weeks old (80 days). Not sure who the holdout was but she sure waited until the last minute! So to summarize, the 1st egg came when the oldest 3 were exactly 6.6 weeks old (46 days), and the last one started laying at 11.4-12 weeks (80-84 days). Unsure if the holdout was one of the original 3 or one of the younger ones. Quite the spread!

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom