Jumbo vs. Standard coturnix

MeadQuail

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 6, 2013
So i am new to quail. I have a couple questions. What is the difference between Jumbo coturnix quail and non jumbo's besides the size difference. Do jumbo's hatch and mature at the same rate? or does it take longer? I plan on raising quail for meat and I've read that coturnix mature at 6 weeks and are ready for butcher then.

If Jumbos do take longer to mature when do they? Also is it better to get them for meat or are normal coturnix better?

Thanks for any help!

So i am new to quail. I have a couple questions. What is the difference between Jumbo coturnix quail and non jumbo's besides the size difference. Do jumbo's hatch and mature at the same rate? or does it take longer? I plan on raising quail for meat and I've read that coturnix mature at 6 weeks and are ready for butcher then.

If Jumbos do take longer to mature when do they? Also is it better to get them for meat or are normal coturnix better?

Thanks for any help!
Welcome to the one thing you will become so obsessed with, that it will NOT drive you nuts. Here is a conversation that took place not too long ago. In the thread, they were comparing "jumbos" from one hatchery compared to another hatchery. This basically proved that not all jumbos are the same.
And they do hatch and mature at the same rate. I have them for eggs and meat. I have the Texas A&M's from the hatchery that they discussed (JMF) and they outweigh the Texas A&M's from another hatchery (that I will not name).

Can you raise Jumbos and regulars in the same pen?
You can, but if you are breeding them for meat, you will not want your "regulars" in with the Jumbos to breed. You will be reversing the "jumbo" trait that took somebody years to perfect.

Edited to add, In breeding Jumbos, it is best to use the largest of males with the largest of hens to continue the jumbo trait. Breeding average size quail will produce average size quail. You may want to keep the less than jumbo hens for egg production and not for breeding.

I hope this helps both, and welcome to the Quail forum on BYC!
James

Last edited:
Thanks for the response and the info. I am really looking forward to raising quail.

Does anybody have a picture of the two sizes standing side by side? And is the sq ft requirement changed for the jumbos?

Back
Top Bottom