Just a reminder!

Wicked Storm

Songster
Aug 10, 2019
Hi all! I just wanted to post a reminder for anyone on here trying to rehabilitate babies (mostly ducks and geese) from the wild, and the reason that we let rehabilitators do the job in honor of my baby Luckys Gotcha day!
I got Lucky, (male mallard) on July 5th of 2021. He was dropped by a hawk out of the sky and actually made it. An older couple found Lucky as a tiny baby on their porch and decided to try to raise him.
While taken care of with lots of love, he wasn’t given the proper care he needed. He ended up not developing properly and had a vitamin deficiency and a respiratory issue when I got him seven weeks later after they decided they couldn’t keep him anymore.
Wild species aren’t meant to be pets, and while they look cute and cuddly they deserve to be free, and unless you can raise and rehabilitate them for the wild please give them to a rehabber who can do those things.
Lucky was a very domesticated duck but with revertive training in the wild he is now a wild and thriving duck! I do revertive training because I have lots of wild and friendly ducks that come around and made friends with Lucky!
Lucky is very healthy and happy out in the wild now and comes by for a visit every now and then, however he doesn’t really remember me.
Here is Lucky when I got him at 7 weeks old (as you can see, he hadn’t even developed wings)
And Lucky after he grew up!
D3E2FD86-6C9A-4710-8DD5-4783071C9EB1.jpeg
75B48F01-25CF-4F5A-84CA-8286441603B9.jpeg
67C32B8E-A8F5-4F34-B3C4-26D1AE3F581E.jpeg

Awwww, so cute! This is actually how we got started into chickens… My sister saved a lone duckling out on the lake and it was lonely. No one had ducklings and we got it chick friends, luckily it didn’t care much for us. It flew off when everyone else was going south and we hope it’s doing well. Almost had another one a week ago and luckily animal control has a local duck fellow that it went to.

Awwww, so cute! This is actually how we got started into chickens… My sister saved a lone duckling out on the lake and it was lonely. No one had ducklings and we got it chick friends, luckily it didn’t care much for us. It flew off when everyone else was going south and we hope it’s doing well. Almost had another one a week ago and luckily animal control has a local duck fellow that it went to.
That’s awesome glad you guys were able to take care of it! We get a lot here because people tend to run over mothers to the point where ducklings go on a euthanasia list if there’s not enough rehabbers to take them😢

That’s awesome glad you guys were able to take care of it! We get a lot here because people tend to run over mothers to the point where ducklings go on a euthanasia list if there’s not enough rehabbers to take them😢
Oh gosh, that’s so horrible!!! My biggest fear this year was it carrying avian flu since it was right in the hot zone. There’s a lady at our TSC that also does duck rescue and got us all set up with the safe food, etc. They’re definitely a lot more involved than people think and need more than bread!

Oh gosh, that’s so horrible!!! My biggest fear this year was it carrying avian flu since it was right in the hot zone. There’s a lady at our TSC that also does duck rescue and got us all set up with the safe food, etc. They’re definitely a lot more involved than people think and need more than bread!
Yes!! So thankful that flu didn’t hit this area, we already had enough injured babies

Back
Top Bottom