Just hatched chick thing hanging

Chicks519

Hatching
Aug 5, 2023
This chick just hatched a few hours ago and is buzzing. Up walking alert but there is this red thing hanging from its but. Can anyone tell me what it is or what I can do? It isn’t lethargic in anyway, looks very healthy but I’m worried. It is in the incubator still with two other hatched chicks…
4704EDFC-4BE9-46D8-B362-D425C25BB944.jpeg

It might just be part of the yolk sac that it's still absorbing? If it's acting normal, I would just wait, and if it still looks abnormal by the time they are due to go in the brooder, maybe gently rinse it and see if you can spot an injury.

That is unabsorbed yolk sac. Can you put a soft cloth underneath it until it absorbs the rest of the yolk or it dries up? The incubator grating could cause it to rupture! Otherwise do not mess with it or you could injure it further.
That is unabsorbed yolk sac. Can you put a soft cloth underneath it until it absorbs the rest of the yolk or it dries up? The incubator grating could cause it to rupture! Otherwise do not mess with it or you could injure it further.
It’s currently in a large brooder with other chicks and it seems to be smaller this morning. She is not bothered by it what so ever and it’s very close to her body. Doesn’t hang or anything. Do you think she’s ok with the others? I tried separating her and she wasn’t having it

Also seeing one of my silkies have splayed legs ☹️View attachment 3601272
That's too hot.
Can you take out that red heat lamp and use a regular light bulb and then move it to where it is only covering half of this container instead of the whole thing?

Also seeing one of my silkies have splayed legs ☹️View attachment 3601272
I would also recommend putting down a few layers of paper towels underneath those shavings because the bottom of that container is two slippery for chicks to be walking on.

Back
Top Bottom