Just hatched (from nest) - Black Spot … Vent issue?

DucklingMama3

In the Brooder
May 4, 2023
I have Indian Runner ducks and my one Mama Duck just hatched 12 eggs. We took the babies because they always end up dying with the mom (we live in the woods, have large fish in the pond, etc.). Anyway, we took 10 last night and thought she was done. I came home today to find her with one more. When she left the nest to eat, I went to get it and I found another duckling, that I thought was dead. It’s eyes were open, barely breathing, and was cold and wet (it’s pouring here). I had my incubator plugged in last night because I had to put 2 in there and I left it on because we have another duck with a nest (intuition today I guess). I put her in it and kept checking her - she was breathing, started moving, peeping and dying like normal. I went to move her and what I originally thought was a dead leaf from the nest is actually something wrong … any thoughts on what this is or how to help. I feel like she’s fought this hard to live … can I finish helping to save her? It looks like a large dried blood clot, but I don’t want to try to remove it and she wanted nothing to do with me messing around down there.

Attachments

• IMG_5067.jpeg
    IMG_5067.jpeg
    446.7 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom