Just processed my first Geese

Jenlyn9483

Crowing
14 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
I finally processed my two geese that I have raised since hatchlings, purchased with intent to process for holidays..I also processed my final meat pekin and a 3 month old white giant turkey hen that had splay leg..Alot of work for one day for two people! Just glad thats done!
My question is, does anyone else here find it more difficult to kill a duck or goose than it is to kill a chicken. I like my chickens so much i keep them around all the time, and i even keep some just to look at..The geese and guineas are for purpose of meat only and the ducks I keep to a strict small trio..Except the ones i purchase to process as soon as they are of size. So why is it easier to kill a chicken than animals I dont want around all year round that i have no relationship with?

It is not easy for me to dispatch any of the animals we have for meat/eggs/milk etc.

I think chicken is a more common dietary item. We see it in the store. We hear it in some form daily in food advertisements. We do become desensitized to the process of peparing the chicken for meals. Processing a chicken, while not easy at any time, becomes more easily accepted in a mental capacity.

If it ever came to a point where it didn't bother me I would be worried.

I think you know what i mean when i say I have found geese to have very human like expressions in thier eyes and mannerisms.. I cant stop thinking about them..We usually chop the heads of our chickens on our cutting table, but I had to get one of my friends to come over with is 22 and dispatch the geese, I couldnt do it. I LOVE to cook a thankgiving goose, but i dont know if I will every process my own again. Might just suck it up and pay the $40 to publix
sad.png
..I may change my mind once a little time goes by.

Miss Prissy, So good to see you are back and feeling better! i hatched 10 out of 13 fertil eggs from my new bator this weekend! I feel like i have done something good. Been a mixed emotion weekend..Some hatching some going into the freezer.All the chicks are fat and healthy and adorable. My boyfriend said we have to keep them all since we hatched them, I told him to get that thought out of his head, we couldnt possibly keep and not sell or eat all the birds I plan to hatch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom