Just Pulled a Large (Pus?) Lump out of Month old Bobcat Wound (gross picture)

TandC

In the Brooder
May 6, 2023
Hi all - our chicken Tuna was attacked about a month ago by a bobcat. She suffered a number of wounds, which we cleaned and treated. After a couple weeks, she got her energy and appetite back, but has a bad limp. We noticed a wound on her leg we had missed. We cleaned and treated it immediately. The wound grew a lump, and today, after a tiny bit of coaxing and a slight pull, we removed this large lump from inside of Tuna's wound. I have a picture of the lump here - its' a little bigger than a peanut M&M.

Is this a pus lump? Something else? It's hard but has a little bit of give to it... and seriously gross.

The remaining wound looks to be very clean/healthy. We used hydrogen peroxide/triple antibiotic to clean.

Thank you so much! We are new to the chicken raising world.

Attachments

• IMG_3550.jpg
    IMG_3550.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3551.jpg
    IMG_3551.jpg
    690.9 KB · Views: 32
The remaining wound looks to be very clean/healthy. We used hydrogen peroxide/triple antibiotic to clean.
That's good.
Only use the HP once as it can damage healthy tissue.
Saline would be a better rinse if needed before the AB cream.

Yes, it's likely pus. Chickens have hard pus. Sounds like you're handling the wound fine.
Thanks for the quick reply! She and the other two in our coop still haven't started laying again yet... they are 7 months old and had started laying about a month before the attack. Is this a normal amount of time? Anything we can do to help them recover and start laying again?

Thank you!

Oh I hope Tuna is better soon! It seems to me that upsetting, traumatic events can stop chickens from laying, at least for a while. I have a hen who injured her leg and she only lays very irregularly.

Back
Top Bottom