Just put our new chickens in their new home... What do you think?

in a year or two we will turn the 10x12 white shed that is adjoining into the permanent coop.
I'd start getting that ready now.
Consider reroofing for optimal ventilation, adding protected eaves and extending overhang on the ends.
1651241341767.png

I am open to suggestions for improvements or criticism.
Knowing your climate would help give the best advise.
Welcome to BYC! @Chickenbusinessdad
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1651241457381.png

It looks nice and sturdy! I would love that for an isolation, broody, or grow-out coop!

If you do live in a mild climate, they may only be in the coop for sleeping and laying, so they might be ok. Regardless, I agree that you'll need more ventilation. Cut windows and cover those with hardware cloth. I have what amounts to a security door on my coop. Even in winter when it rains and snows, that area uncovered. The ventilation keeps it dry in the coop and prevents frostbite in the winter and cools everything down in the summer.

I like that you've covered the run to protect from aerial predators. You might want to switch to heavy duty bird netting, though. Determined hawks will go through that. Netting will not deter climbing predators, either, which is always a concern. You might look at adding electric near the bottom, a few feet up, and at the top. It's not very expensive, and the peace of mind will be worth it.

That white shed looks like a better fit, imo. I agree with Aart. I'd convert that over now. You will be glad you did! I have a converted shed. Took be just a couple of hours to convert it: cut windows and covered them with hardware cloth, put vinyl flooring down, added a roost and a pop door. Voila!

I'd start getting that ready now.
Consider reroofing for optimal ventilation, adding protected eaves and extending overhang on the ends.
View attachment 3084489

Knowing your climate would help give the best advise.
Welcome to BYC! @Chickenbusinessdad
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3084494
Added Location... Mid Ohio Valley

Yes I would say not only too small but I don't see any roosting areas inside or perches? The dog run is a great area but you need a much bigger Coop especially if you're in an area where there will either be a lot of rain or snow or cold weather in the winter where they will be inside tomorrow. You also need to have plenty of vents for ventilation and fresh air but no drafts. I'm not seeing any windows or vents?

Back
Top Bottom