Just talked to our code enforcement officer

Thanks everyone! I am so excited to get my girls
smile.png

My town council refuses to be bothered by discussing backyard hens. It's very frustrating. They won't grant me a variance nor will they consider bylaw changes. My neighbours are supportive and encouraging, and I've even offered to run a pilot project. I haven't been given any details or reasons etc. for their refusal. I've heard that there were apparently problems with a resident in another town within our municipality who was keeping goats and all sorts of things as "pets" in his yard in town. There were animal welfare issues, noise, odour, etc. and the neighbours had a heck of a time shutting him down. I think council is totally gun shy after that one. Ah well. There are elections in the fall, and we'll see what happens with new folks on council.

You could also find out what the code is regarding other animals and come to them with a prepared version of the code regarding hens. I even brought to them laws of other local towns, bigger and smaller, and all sorts of great articles. The change to code passed 4-2. I think if you go into it being grateful for every tiny move in the right direction, and patience, it'll pay off.

Back
Top Bottom