just the feather shaft?

key west chick

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Gainesville, GA
I have a frizzle naked neck cockerel thats not quite a year old. He's just finished up a molt but he looks like his wing feathers are just the shaft, no fluffy. Some also appear to be broken off about half way. Could he possibly be a frazzle and have brittle feathers? Everybody eats layer pellets and scratch to keep warm. I dont see any mites or lice on him. It seems like only his wing feathers are affected. It literally looks like little black twigs sticking off his wings. I feel bad cause he has nothing to keep his sides warm without his fluff. He's the only one affected.

Can you post a picture?

Are you sure some are broken off or do they just look that way?

If they are broken off someone might be eating them. Usually the cause of eating feathers is protein deficiency.

Sounds like it is just new feathers coming in.. A lot of times you can notice this if you lift their neck feathers up towards their head.. kinda looks like a porcupine without the points on the quills.. If this is what you are seeing, it's nothing to worry about.. But, if you are still unsure, I would definitely say post a pic to get a second opinion...
smile.png

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Thats what it looks like. But.... its been like that for about 2 weeks now. And its all his wing feathers. Sorry i cant post a picture, no cord for the camera. He looks like he has porcupine quills on his wings. Not many look broken off, just a few. I had been tossing some crunchy cat food in there at the begining of molt so i doubt if its a protein deficiency. He looks kinda pathetic.

You can definitely bump the protein but instead of using catfood or dogfood which has a lot of things they shouldn't have long term (meant to be a quick fix only), you can get a bag of lentils and a bag of northern beans.. They normally only cost about $1 or so per bag (no need for name brands) and cook about 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup of each together.. Give about 1/2 cup to him everyday.. I normally mix it with whole grain brown rice (cooked), uncooked oatmeal, wheatgerm (found in cereal isle but is expensive so it can be omitted) and plain yogurt.. My babies absolutely LOVE it and it's a great protein boost! I know some on here have said that the beans aren't very cheap but if you think about how much you get after it's cooked, it is.. And a little goes a long way.. I have 11 chickens and one bag of lentils and one bag of beans and a bag of rice will last me a week... The reason I use northern beans and lentils specifically is because out of all dry beans, they have the highest amount of protein.. But, if you find another bag of beans that is much cheaper, most likely the protein will only be about 3 % less so by all means, go ahead and use them.. If you boost their intake even a little, it will be better for them.. Boosting their protein will definitely get those feathers in more quickly..

The only thing I would suggest is that if you do decide to use rice, please make sure it is whole grain brown rice.. White rice has very little nutritional value.. I only feed white rice to mine when there are leftovers in the house and I mix it with something..

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom