Just took in two foster Guinea pigs, one is pregnant!! All help and advice is helpful

Quarterhorses1

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jan 18, 2022
I’ve had Guinea pigs my entire life, but I’ve never handled a pregnant piggie!! I also took in a young one, but she’s not prego. Anyways, I can feel the babies heartbeat inside her. Anyone know how I can tell how far along she is? And tips ? All advice is appreciated!! Thanks

Probably like cats and puppies. Make sure she has a place with bedding( you can launder or toss) keep her fed and hydrated and she should do the rest. She will need extra food while nursing them. Don't know specifically about guineas prbly a you tube out there on them to tell you how close you are. If you're fostering maybe a vet would help pro Bono.

I've had one Guinea pig that was pregnant, on the whole I think complications are rare so it's just a matter of letting them to their thing.
Make sure she gets plenty of vitamin C, and that as they tend to get very wide make sure that she can't get stuck in a narrow spot.
One thing is do you know how old she is?
Because if they have babies after around 6 months for the first time they can have a very hard time giving birth; and might need a vet.
It's fine if they've had babies before though.
Baby Guinea pigs both feed from their mother and eat normal food right from the beginning, so make sure they can get to both food and water.

Back
Top Bottom