Just wondering...

awagnon

Songster
11 Years
Dec 3, 2012
Gainesville, TX area
So I have 3 1yr old hens and got 3 more chicks this Spring. I Speckled Sussex and 2 Sapphire Gems. The chicks are 10 weeks old today. They have been in a look don't touch side by side situation for about 3 weeks now. Only one of my original hens seems to continue to make pecking motions toward them, but only every now and then. She doesn't stalk them from the other side of the wire. lol

We are in the process of converting a large carport that is over the original (too small for six) coop/run into being a completely enclosed run (not yet complete) with a new much larger coop (already complete and usable). No one has been in the new coop as yet. The littles are quickly outgrowing the small coop they have been sleeping in that is right next to the originals' run.

My question is, if I go ahead and transfer the newbies into the new larger coop at night and they establish that as their territory, will it be easier and less drama when we get finished with the run part of the project and then introduce the older girls into the newbies space? I know chickens can be territorial so I was wondering if it made things easier if older hens were moved into younger hens' space versus the other way around as the originals have been in the current smaller setup for a year now so it's their territory. I understand the newbies will have some territory issues, but would think it might be less likely they go after the older, bit larger girls as bad. Just wondering if anyone had any input on this. I am sure there will be some pecking order establishing, but hope to try to avoid any over the top incidents.

Back
Top Bottom