Keep bulb or put new one in?

Welshies

Crowing
May 8, 2016
Alberta, Canada
So i made my own incubator (https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-styrobator.73481/). However, after some experimentation, I settled on a 25 watt bulb. Inside the house it was 102° inside. Moved it to the garage, went down to 95°. Waited a few hours. It was at 93° or so (by this time I had 5 1/2" holes for ventilation), I thought it might heat up but it didn't. Turned off my fan- that didn't help, either. It's at 91° now.
Should I increase the wattage to a 40 watt bulb and see how hot it settles to, with my fan, and then add ventilation if needed? We don't have a 30 watt bulb I don't think. We have 10 watt bulbs "replace 60 watts!" On the box, I assume those don't give much heat off?

I am trying the 40 watt bulb I had in earlier. It was quite hot, but 5 or so 1/4" holes along the top should help circulate air as well as a fan, right?

Hmmm... nervous because it is old style filament type.
31YTbFv6TRL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Going to use that 25 watt but lower it, and patch up the hole it had.

Sounds like you're working through it. Let us know what worked. Can you move it back into the house? The best location is one with a steady day/night temperature.

Sounds like you're working through it. Let us know what worked. Can you move it back into the house? The best location is one with a steady day/night temperature.
The garage has a steady temperature. It is digitally controlled to stay at 15°C with in floor heating.
I have the 25 watt 4 inches lower now, but I am waiting for it to come up to temperature. It is slowly warming up and is at 92°F currently.

Well with some modifications using a pie plate to help direct the heat and light down it's absolutely perfect. Has been for two hours. It's not this hot all over the entire incubator, but it is on the newspaper where the eggs will be.
99°F and 50% humidity.
20180106_124356.jpg

Back
Top Bottom