Keeping a quail indoors possible?

Should my indoor quail cage have a 1 x 1/2" wire flooring instead of pine shavings as bedding? I am seriously thinking of making my cage have a wire flooring for easy cleanup. I just need to be reassured that having pet quails walking on top of wire is not an act of cruelty. (I am referring to the whole concept that wire flooring is bad for rabbits feet, so it must be bad for other animals too)
It's your personal preference, but I've found that the wire can/will cut into their feet after a while. I don't even keep the wire bottoms to my parrots cage- just fill it with pine pellets.
Using pine pellets/shavings is a better option... it smells pretty nice too!

Should my indoor quail cage have a 1 x 1/2" wire flooring instead of pine shavings as bedding? I am seriously thinking of making my cage have a wire flooring for easy cleanup. I just need to be reassured that having pet quails walking on top of wire is not an act of cruelty. (I am referring to the whole concept that wire flooring is bad for rabbits feet, so it must be bad for other animals too)
I wouldn't unless you make sure they have a place to rest their feet from the wire. They are far more likely to develop foot and leg issues if they're always on wire.

A 20 gallon tank is too small for Coturnix. Quail shouldn't be kept in tanks at all in the first place. There is not enough ventilation so they will be constantly breathing in trapped dust and poop which can make them sick, they can't see glass so it can be stressful for them, it would be hard to clean, and reaching in from the top can also be stressful. A rabbit cage is the best option. Also quail dont do good alone so get at least two. I would recommend getting two females but you can get a male with a couple of females too.

No dont use wire flooring! Quail feet are not made to be on wire so it can be very uncomfortable and painful for them and can also cause issues such as bumblefoot, which can be deadly if left untreated. Solid floors olny!!!

Back
Top Bottom