Keeping chickens out of flowers

Kaisermock

Hatching
Jun 20, 2016
Hello all

I am new to raising chickens i got 6 isa reds the beginning of the year. They are fully free range during the day. My question is is there a way to keep them from digging up and eating the flowers without using the obvious solution of chicken fencing?

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I'm afraid not. Flower beds is irresistible for hens as it's a source of bugs and other food, easy dust baths, shelter etc. Fencing is the only way you're going to keep them out.

I don't have small flower plants but I have a vegetable garden. I put plastic mesh fencing over or around small plants, but take it off when the plants are big enuf not to get trampled. The hens eat the bugs, aerate the soil around the plants, and leave a bit of fertilizer. It has been a win win situation.

Hello all

I am new to raising chickens i got 6 isa reds the beginning of the year. They are fully free range during the day. My question is is there a way to keep them from digging up and eating the flowers without using the obvious solution of chicken fencing?

Here is a solid book on maintaining plants and chickens together. I've used information in the book when planting around our home.

Back
Top Bottom