Keeping chicks warm for a two hour car ride?

Kimchi

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 10, 2010
Utah
Hey all, I'm getting some about week old silkie chicks and an Easter egger from a breeder this Monday.
celebrate.gif
The only thing is she's two hours away! And I'm worried about keeping the little babies warm, any ideas? So far we have this little tub to sit in my lap for the babies to be in, and we were thinking hot water bottles with lots of blankets and towels. The hot water bottles being under the blankets and towels of course. It IS summer, it's about 90 F. here. Or will they be ok?
So BYC have any good ideas for transporting baby chicks in the car for two hours?
idunno.gif

Good question, I have been wondering the same. I will have quite a little drive to pick up my chicks at the P.O. I have already told my girls we'll just have to crack the windows and be hot on the way home, but if there's anything else I should do for them on the ride, I'll do it.

Water bottles sound good. keep some extra warm bottles in a thermous for changing the old warmish water to new hoter water, also newspaper a is a good warm protector. also keep the lid on them as the heat will stay inside better/

Last edited:
You can put some whole kernel corn in a sock, tie a knot on the end and microwave it for about 5 minutes. It'll get good and hot and will stay that way for a long time (same concept as the hot water bottle).

I'm presuming you are not going to keep the in-car temperature at 90 degrees like outside, if you did they'd be fine. I've used Hotties hand-warmers to keep chicks warm. They stay warm for hours and are not toxic. They come in little individual packets. You can look in the camping or sports departments of major stores. I just stick them in the box with them, and they can get as close to them as they need, plus they warm the air. I toss them when I'm done, or if its just one or two, put them in the compost. Ingredients include something like iron, vermiculite, and charcoal. They are air activated. You might want to attach a cheap thermometer to the inside of the box so you don't spend two hours wondering if they are too hot or too cold. Happy travels.

Back
Top Bottom