Keeping guineas off the deck

GuineaCrazy

Songster
Jul 9, 2019
This is a question or problem I can't find an answer to.

We have 4-year old guineas. They had been roosting in a tree for a while and then a plastic bag from who knows where, got stuck in the top of their tree. They came to the deck, and by flapping a large umbrella, a broom, and my arms, over several weeks I was able to keep them away from the deck. They found a new tree and were there several nights but a predator got one from the tree. We trapped a large raccoon and haven't had trouble since, but now the guineas go from my front porch to back deck, and no matter my tactics I can't keep them away. I can't handle their poop!!!

Has anyone had success? My husband built a guinea palace, of course they won't go in, so we have new keets that I'm hoping once we start letting them out the adults will follow them in for the night.

Thanks in advance!

We tried that prior to getting the new keets. But when I would approach the coop, even though they couldn't see me, they would run out.:he. Wow with the new keets I don't know that I can let the big ones in, right? Don't they have to get used to one another?

I think there are a couple ways you could do it.
Keep the new ones in a pen inside the coop. Then if you can lure the adults in they can start getting used to each other.

Or make a fenced run outside for the little ones to spend time in where the adults can see them. Then as the babies are let out the adults will already be used to them being around. Hopefully then following the babies inside the coop at night.

Oh, have you made a funnel fence?
It helps so much to get them inside if you have fencing around the door area.
Mine is really small. Just 3ft high, but it’s the same hight Ive used since they were keets. So when we switched them over to their new coop we just put up this little bit of fencing to gather them into. You might need a taller fence if your guineas are more flighty.
E4A67884-9308-462E-BFA0-FAF24E5A3090.png

Oh, have you made a funnel fence?
It helps so much to get them inside if you have fencing around the door area.
Mine is really small. Just 3ft high, but it’s the same hight Ive used since they were keets. So when we switched them over to their new coop we just put up this little bit of fencing to gather them into. You might need a taller fence if your guineas are more flighty. View attachment 2291184
Similar to the funnel fence I’ve used. Mine are rather flighty, but if I herd them slowly, they will walk in and not fly over the fence.

Oh interesting. So do you put their evening corn or whatever in there? And then herd them in?
Sometimes I’ll use corn to tempt them over. Mostly when I want to get them cooped up earlier then normal. Otherwise they do congregate over by the coop around 6-7pm every night. Then we just herd them in.
In their old coop they would put themselves away, but not the new one. Yet, anyway.

I love your coop!! I will try this funnel fence for sure. My hen is broody on a nest in our garden, not ideal but I've read relocating is not a good idea. Now that she is on the nest the three males stand on the step of the coop and look in at the new guineas. I wonder if they want in, but also worry if they would be too aggressive. Thanks again for all the info!

I love your coop!! I will try this funnel fence for sure. My hen is broody on a nest in our garden, not ideal but I've read relocating is not a good idea. Now that she is on the nest the three males stand on the step of the coop and look in at the new guineas. I wonder if they want in, but also worry if they would be too aggressive. Thanks again for all the info!
They might be a bit aggressive. Just be sure to make lots of hiding spots and put out extra food and water. If the males are going on the steps now a fence around the entrance would really help so you can just slowly approach them and encourage them to go in.
I can’t comment on the broody hen, mine went broody inside their coop so it was never an issue.

Although, if you did capture the female and put her inside it might make the males even more inclined to follow her. My males always follow wherever the females are, so if they are being resistant to cooping up I just round up the girls. Once the girls are in they call for their partners and the males will come running. Haha. It works really well for us.

Back
Top Bottom