Keeping in Coop for Extended Period?

Jan 1, 2022
It's cold out! Below 20 degrees most days this week and near zero at night. My three ducks were clearly cold outside and their coop is only 4x6 so I put them inside of a 12x12 horse stall lined with straw. There's no wind but there's enough ventilation. They are doing fine in there. There is one day that will hit 29 degrees, but I'll be working and my wife has difficulty getting them in and out of the barn (eyesight issues). Is there any problem with just leaving them in there for a week?

I came here with the same question. Mine have been closed up in the run since Friday. They've spent most of the time in the coop, although I have them on camera sleeping outside in negative weather when the wind died down. I've been taking them water every few hours. They are all eating and drinking well. I just didn't want them to go stir crazy or get overly stressed being penned in for days. I don't know what they'd do anyway if they were out free ranging because everything is frozen solid, including the farm pond.

They seem to be doing okay, but I think they might be stressed a bit after not being outside or in their regular coop. They'll eat the peas that we throw to them for a snack, but they have hardly touched their regular food in three days. We tried pellets and crumble.

Back
Top Bottom