Keeping Meat Rabbits

Also I have one more question (the last I promise). I love Netherland Dwarfs but I'm not sure if I could justify breeding them. If I happened to have extras, could they be butchered? I understand they would probably be single serve meals (One rabbit per person) but could it be done? Sorry about all the questions, people are so helpful here and I havent found much information that would awnser my question. Thanks a bunch!

I knew a guy who did just this. If you bought a Netherland Dwarf from this guy, it was at least breeder quality, because he just didn't bother with pet sales -anything he wouldn't breed, he ate. He said he could get a decent "saddle" (back legs, basically) from a Dwarf, the rest wasn't really worth bothering with. Kinda like frog's legs, I guess.:confused:

Does anyone know of a good method to dispatch them? I was thinking of getting the "hopper popper". It seems like an easy way to go about it.

Various ways to dispatch rabbits include:

Broom Stick method
Pellet gun
Arterial bleed
Fatal blow to rear of head

I prefer and use the Broom stick method though this can result in some bruising to the neck but everyone will have their own preferences.

The "Hopper Popper" seems an efficient and humane method but too expensive for me (not living in America) with postal costs etc. I have seen several versions of homemade ones so a search on Mr Internet might yield some results for you.

I always send mine to the processor. Easy and cheep.
I was planning on doing this but I can't find anyone who does rabbits in my area. I wont be raising a ton of them so I figured I would just do it myself. Now that I'm starting to look at rabbit stuff again I'm seeing so many show breeds I like, I forgot how addicting rabbits are. :p

Hopper popper/rabbit wringer/etc are fine. They're really good if you have back problems or a small body frame because they require no bending and you can use your body mass/legs to accomplish the job.

However, the broomstick method does the exact same thing for free if you don't have trouble bending and pulling. Anyone with a modicum of upper body strength (I'm a girl with arms like noodles, but nearly 6' and I can do most bunnies on this) can handle most rabbits this way. Some of the bigger adults I ask my partners to do.

Either way cervical dislocation is the way to go with rabbits. It's shockingly fast and frankly my rabbits tend to not even notice something's amiss until I press down on the broomstick and by then it's over in seconds.

The one downside to both methods is they tend to rub some of the neck fur off of the hide, leaving a tiny bald patch. This doesn't matter much if you don't care about the hides. It's honestly not a huge deal if you do either, it's just a square inch or two.

If I had to choose the ideal method, probably a very small bullet through the head at point blank range would be my absolute preference. But I can't fire guns where I live and this is a really nice, easy, and free close second.

This video is my favorite showing how it's done and the whole process. (CONTENT WARNING: GRAPHIC, ANIMAL PROCESSING)

Does anyone know of a good method to dispatch them? I was thinking of getting the "hopper popper". It seems like an easy way to go about it.
Get Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits by Bob Bennett. There is a chapter or two in there about how to process rabbits. Bennett tells how to kill rabbits quickly and humanely and no special tools required. The book is not very expensive. Read it over and if his method is not for you, you will not have lost much money.

Hopper popper/rabbit wringer/etc are fine. They're really good if you have back problems or a small body frame because they require no bending and you can use your body mass/legs to accomplish the job.

However, the broomstick method does the exact same thing for free if you don't have trouble bending and pulling. Anyone with a modicum of upper body strength (I'm a girl with arms like noodles, but nearly 6' and I can do most bunnies on this) can handle most rabbits this way. Some of the bigger adults I ask my partners to do.

Either way cervical dislocation is the way to go with rabbits. It's shockingly fast and frankly my rabbits tend to not even notice something's amiss until I press down on the broomstick and by then it's over in seconds.

The one downside to both methods is they tend to rub some of the neck fur off of the hide, leaving a tiny bald patch. This doesn't matter much if you don't care about the hides. It's honestly not a huge deal if you do either, it's just a square inch or two.

If I had to choose the ideal method, probably a very small bullet through the head at point blank range would be my absolute preference. But I can't fire guns where I live and this is a really nice, easy, and free close second.

This video is my favorite showing how it's done and the whole process. (CONTENT WARNING: GRAPHIC, ANIMAL PROCESSING)
That actually seems pretty easy, although I feel like I would do it wrong somehow. I dont plan on doing much in the way of hides as there isnt too much of a market here for them.

I have not bred/kept rabbits for quiet a few years, although I still have all the cages ect. Recently I started to play with the idea of breeding meat rabbits. I have four 24x24 cages, one three stack and one stand alone cage. My plan was to have 1 buck and 1-2 does. I was thinking New Zeland Reds/broken reds. I would breed for show quality, sell the best as show/breeders and the rest go in the freezer. One question I had was if I should have a larger growout cage for the kits or if one litter can be split between two 24x24 cages? The rabbits would be in a small garage that we never have the car in so they would be out of the elements. Any tips, thoughts, and additional information would be great!
Thanks!
-Max
Hi..we raise rabbits..some are show. Some started to be meat..my hubby ate three..I was raised eating wild rabbit..but personally, it’s different when you raise them. Ok, first tip..do you remember how delicate they are..we lost 14 kits ..born in aug this month...one got stressed for sure..and then it was dominoes..we can discuss that later if you want...next..they are pricey...the dewormer is is $95 for 16 oz. But..the dimensions of your cages are great..we have some in bigger and some in 16x 18. Some people go smaller..we have three beautiful red does now and a chocolate buck. The liter I’m planning next is a red buck too. We also have California. Until this week I had 32. We sell as pets for $10..but for meat it can go..in this area much higher..a 4H show runner came and picked three of my kits..of course they died... push Timothy hay. Tons. Rabbits don’t tolerate hot..like cold better..hate loud noises..love dandilions..we make tractor...it’s thing’s movable so rabbits can be grass fed..they love it and keeps feed bill down..definitely use the breeding chart from living traditions on utube. Dewormer every three months...

That actually seems pretty easy, although I feel like I would do it wrong somehow. I dont plan on doing much in the way of hides as there isnt too much of a market here for them.
Actually people in crafts buy them on the net..even dyed..striped..everything...but that gets complicated..but yes..crafterslove rabbit fur..sell them on eBay

Hi..we raise rabbits..some are show. Some started to be meat..my hubby ate three..I was raised eating wild rabbit..but personally, it’s different when you raise them. Ok, first tip..do you remember how delicate they are..we lost 14 kits ..born in aug this month...one got stressed for sure..and then it was dominoes..we can discuss that later if you want...next..they are pricey...the dewormer is is $95 for 16 oz. But..the dimensions of your cages are great..we have some in bigger and some in 16x 18. Some people go smaller..we have three beautiful red does now and a chocolate buck. The liter I’m planning next is a red buck too. We also have California. Until this week I had 32. We sell as pets for $10..but for meat it can go..in this area much higher..a 4H show runner came and picked three of my kits..of course they died... push Timothy hay. Tons. Rabbits don’t tolerate hot..like cold better..hate loud noises..love dandilions..we make tractor...it’s thing’s movable so rabbits can be grass fed..they love it and keeps feed bill down..definitely use the breeding chart from living traditions on utube. Dewormer every three months...
I thought I’d show you some pictures of our hutches...our neighbor calls them condos because they all look alike..lol..but you can tell in the pictures we have a big hutch for pregnant does..then double hutches..right now I have two bucks but they are separated by wood with a window and 1x1...then a long hutch with three movable compartments inside..so I can put big liters..or one doe ...right now I have it separated into two..
A17BE120-3CD3-41AA-92FB-222E3E308B43.jpeg
2F2F664F-EC72-45A2-BB1D-D97F5D7D8918.jpeg
0BC376E5-1DFD-44EC-A492-5A1182E559E9.jpeg
2AE265EA-B94B-4B96-8AB6-2D96DF499ADA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom