Keeping Predators out, and types of fencing?

KelsT

Chirping
Apr 6, 2015
I was calling around today and looking at options for my run (8ftx16x6 tall) Someone suggested non-climb horse fence. They told me that it would far outlast welded wire as most is welded after being galvanized.

I then tonight found out that you need to stretch the woven wire fencing... not sure I have the right tools to do this...

Has anyone used this type of fencing? how did you install it if you used it and are you happy with it now?

will squirrels really be a problem?
-----------

These are the options I was looking at ... some I would need to install I think an added layer of 1/2 inch hardware cloth...

Coastal said Cattle panels are best
Viking said woven wire horse fence will look better then welded and last longer
Farlmand said 1x1 is perfect for keeping out stuff

Cattle Panels:
6 ga wire 4x4" opening 4' x16'
$20.00 - Coastal Farm and Feed. 7 panels needed (6.25) =$140 114 feet total

Horse Fence No Climb woven wire:
I am liking this (CAN WE STRETCH it right???
12.5 ga wire 2x4" opening 4'x100'
Black = $149 Coastal
Black = $154 Dels
Silver??? - $159 Viking feed

Goat Fencing 4x4" mesh woven 48'x100 12.5 gage (might not need to stretch)
Viking feed - $100

Welded Wire:
1x1" opening 14 gage cage wire 4'x100

$180 - Dels
$176 - Viking 4'x100
$215 - Farmland
$230 - Cenex for 100 feet... sell by the foot at $1.49

2x1" opening

$120 Dels
~$100 - Farmland would need to order
$ 1.99 a foot ~$200 for 100

2x4" opening
$79.00 - 14 gage 4'x100' - coastal farm and ranch
$75.99 - Viking
$72.99 - Ace

2x4" opening welded wire 12.5 gage
$120 - Cenex - check this price and gage?

1x1/2" Welded Wire - 2 ft tall 100 ft
$120 - Viking feed

Size of wire mesh in traps used for predators:
Bobcat/Coyote/small dog/coons and Cats traps are made of 12 gauge witle 1"x2"
Rat small and jouvenile= 1"x1/2"
Squirrel/mink/muskrate/possum/skunk/large rats = 1"x1"

Non climb horse fence is good stuff, but keep in mind smaller predators such as a weasel can squeeze through it. Coons can also reach through and pull off heads of chickens. You could attach hardware cloth too the fence 2 foot high to prevent.
I have installed non climb woven wire around my yard as well as a night time safe pen for my goats. To pull it tight you will need a come along and chain. You can buy a special clamp to attach to the fence for pulling or make your own from two 2x4 cut to the height of the fence then clamped together with the fence sandwiched in the middle.(use large bolts with nuts to clamp) then attach short chain to the top and bottom of 2x4. Attach come along to middle of chain other end to anchor point (I use my truck).
You must build braced corners. Get on YouTube and look up installing field fencing and woven wire. What they show is large fence line construction,but the same principle is used to scale down and make smaller pens.

I agree we have no climb horse fencing. Its the size as the welded wire stuff but so much thicker. It will keep out things like coons, possum, skunk ect..

Back
Top Bottom